2002 SX Viper compression

MatthewRJensen

I recently bought a 2002 SX Viper 700 triple with 10,500km on it. I’ve put about 800km on it and love it so far, except for the fuel economy. I was just wondering if there’s anything that can be done to improve the fuel economy on this sled. I was initially thinking clutching would be an option. And while I’m on here, does anyone know what kind of compression values I should be seeing? Any input would be greatly appreciated [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are usually in the 10-12 mph range stock I believe. If it has triples they get quite a bit worse than that. My Mnt Viper with triples is getting 6 mpg...trail, powder, hill climbing...6 mpg lol.
I will say that I have SLP's and my uncle has Benders on his and he gets quite a bit better than I do, but his is a short track. I think it has to do with the timing for peak rpm, as Benders keep it at stock 8500 and SLP is 8900.

Jetting plays a big part, how do plugs look?
Gearing also plays a part, such as if it is geared lower.
I believe compression should be in the 115 range or so. Clutch side has a bit lower compression.

for its era in stock trim(clutching only) they are good on fuel as the twins from that era only got 8-10 mpg. my brothers 02 viper consistantly ran 11-13 mpg on good trails. in the powder or soft conditions he would drop to 8-9 mpg and this was with stock track as well as when he made it into a 136" with a ripsaw.

They are usually in the 10-12 mph range stock I believe. If it has triples they get quite a bit worse than that. My Mnt Viper with triples is getting 6 mpg...trail, powder, hill climbing...6 mpg lol.
I will say that I have SLP's and my uncle has Benders on his and he gets quite a bit better than I do, but his is a short track. I think it has to do with the timing for peak rpm, as Benders keep it at stock 8500 and SLP is 8900.

Jetting plays a big part, how do plugs look?
Gearing also plays a part, such as if it is geared lower.
I believe compression should be in the 115 range or so. Clutch side has a bit lower compression.

It’s just got factory single exhaust system, and the plugs looked good last time I checked them. Compression was good, it was around ~115 PSI on the second and third cylinders. The PTO side was around ~106 or so if I remember correctly. All the values were taken when the engine was warm, with the throttle held wide open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back