97 Yamaha Vmax Xt 600 hesitation during when accelerating

mecka

Looking for some ideas ,I have a 97 Yamaha vmax xt600 and it has 4800 miles good compression within 10 psi of each other.When driving it at times has no power during acceleration and bogs and need to let of gas and then it will be fine.I can now get it to do it when sitting and just reviving up to 3000 and try accelerate more it jus has no power.Idles fine .I have tried new plugs ,removed old gas and put in new gas ,changed fuel filter in tank .Tried new coil and wires ,cleaned carbs in fall .But I thought I should check again,and I wa ssuprised to see they had a fair amount of belt dust in there again ,as I only had put on 100 miles since then? So I recleaned carbs thinking I found issue but it still the same?So I am thinking of the remaining components:
Primary clutch
Secondary clutch
Fuel pump

Should mention I had clutch rebuilt about 2 years ago.

How is belt dust getting into your carbs? Did you delete the airbox?

Here is how to test if its rich or lean.. take it for a ride to warm it up.. once warm get it to bog and hold that throttle possition. Give it a shot of choke. If it picks up your lean if not your rich and I would check the small jets/air passages on the inlet bell of the carbs.. if they plug up its like running with the choke on... also the 94 vmax which is what I have loved to Ice up the carbs. Instant rich conditions...

I'm not familiar with your sled, but it sure sounds like you are describing a TORS issue. It runs perfectly fine but randomly after the throttle has been wide open it bogs and will only pull about 3000 rpm like a governor is engaged, but then runs fine again after throttle has been fully released?
I believe yours has it, TORS is the Throttle Over Ride System. It keeps the sled from sticking wide open if a cable frays or something. It will engage if the throttle cable is set too tight, or if a switch is going bad.

Hope this helps

Im not to good with forum images and docs hope this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190311-133103_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190311-133103_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20190311-133051_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190311-133051_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190311-132922_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190311-132922_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20190311-132823_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190311-132823_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20190311-132718_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190311-132718_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4
it could also need the primary clutch taken apart & cleaned if it is making that much belt dust. i would throw a new primary spring in there while i was at it as they get weak over time.

Mod it, good point. My TORS system is bypassed so I dont think about it... But if the 97 is like my 94 it has a big stupid blinking red light to let you know its been triggered..... Kind of a dumb system... and really over sensitive to cable issues... I just use a tether all the time..

Miam, if my under standing of clutching is correct the spring would only affect a small portion of the problem. I would go with belt alignment issues... or the the small link at the back of the motor mount is shot and letting things move.. my guess for all the dust would be the secondary is out of adjustment. But there should be no way for the dust to be in the airbox or carbs unless the box was gutted for mods...

I would suspect the air box foam is breaking down and that is what is being seen in the carbs rather than belt dust.

I have had a 1997 600 XTC since Aug. of 1996.
I can tell you for sure, that it is belt dust.
The mouth of my carbs were always covered from it.
Don't know how it gets in, but it does, and that sled uses the softer 89L belt.

I would say he is getting a TORS issue from poorly routed throttle cable.
Bypass the TORS by plugging the 2 bullet connectors into themselves and see if that's the problem.

Had same issue and it was the TORS switch on the carb. Would run good until you let off too quick on throttle then would bog and not go above 3000 rpm.

bad springs/dirty clutches make the belt slip and cause more belt dust. why i clean mine every year.

Ok I had some time ,I have another sled with only 1900 miles so I had the ability to try this and that.So as it turns out it was the fuel pump!I also should note that yes it's belt dust in the carbs ,my other one that we have barely driven as well has it as well.And the air filter on this one are like brand new,so I can see why they say to clean the carbs every year!
Thanks guys for all your help , I appreciate everyone that had responded!

Back