Heavy Hitters setup for a Viper 700

journeyman

I haven't visited this side of TY for several years now. I used to get bombarded with questions about setting up Heavy Hitters on the SX Viper. I had real good success with those.....over 9,000 miles. I saw some posts where folks said my inbox is full. Yes it is but I am leaving it that way. I have a whole bunch of good info archived there and I do not hang out much on the 2 stroke side anymore since switching to an Apex and now a Sidewinder.

So just for reference, this is a good starting point for Heavy Hitters on a stock Viper:

tip wt=3/8" steel bolt w/ 2 thin washers

inner wt=7/16" bolt w/ 2 thin washers

heel wt=1/2" bolt

sec. spring= yamaha silver

sec. helix=stock

twist= 70 deg. (6-1)

prim. spring= black heavy hitter

This is with the stock Yamaha 8DN belt. You should see 8500 when you mash the throttle and then see a slow climb to 8700 full out. No need for the multi angle helix's for general riding. All sleds are different but this is a good starting point.

Some other notes to keep in mind. The 2002 model year was the big year for this sled. 2003 and finally 2004 the production numbers dropped significantly. Mine was a 2002 as was my father's who is retired from sledding at 82 now. What I saw back then was huge variances on fast Viper's and slow ones. The key factor seemed to be cylinder compression. Some had strong stock compression some not so strong. My father's was faster than mine and mine was faster than anyone else I ran into with a stock Viper. These had staggered compression with the clutch side being the lower one and the middle and mag cylinder being close to the same psi. On mine my compression on our gauge read 125/135/138 on my father's his read 130/142/145. I remember many folks that had soft running Viper's that had trouble beating the current crop of 600's running 110/115/115.....I realize gauges can vary from one to another but that seems drastic. I had a friend with one of those soft Viper's and his compression was real low like this. Not sure why there was so much difference. I know mine would run away from my friend's on the lake. My dad's would consistently pull me two to three lengths in a drag race every time.(he also ran HH's) My dad's was the fastest one I ever saw stock. We had a fella in our area with a fast 2003 Firecat 700 that had set a few speed run records at the time and my dad's would beat the Firecat in a drag race every time.

There are other setups for Viper's like Heelclickers for drag racing but those seem to need constant tuning for the conditions. I really liked the consistency of the HH's and I wasn't doing drags other than impromptu ones for fun. Once dialed in I never had to mess with them again. Jeff Simon's from Simon's CPR steered me in the direction of HH's. My dad had the early version lighter base weight HH's so his setup was a bit different than mine. His base weight was about 46 grams empty, mine were the updated ones for the Viper at aprrox. 48 grams.

So if there is anyone out there wanting to use these I hope this helps.

Awesome write up! Now the big question, why return after several years of absence?

Oh I have been on here but over on the 4 stroke side. I was bored last night and tried to remember my log in password. My memory served me well and next thing I know I was logged in. Got to reading some posts about HH's and some referred to me but one person said they noticed my inbox was full. I got looking over my inbox and sent box and I had lots of good info I kind of wanted to keep. So I thought I will just make a post on the HH's for all to read.

Back