Wiring harness mystery

norwegian

Wiring harness 3.jpgWiring harness 2.jpgWiring harness 1.jpgWiring harness 3.jpgWiring harness 2.jpgWiring harness 1.jpg
Sorry for this coming twice but anyway.
Why is my wiring harness looking like this? 1999 venture 600.

This is what I know:

The stator on this sled was bad, the stator wires were burnt to a crisp.
The battery was totally dead.
As you can see, the wiring harness is burnt.

Put in a new stator, and the wiring harness started to smoke (only ran for maybe 10 secs) alltogether. I hope I haven't fried the new stator.

Before I install another wiring harness, what caused this, so it wont happen again?

You have a dead short somewhere. Could be anywhere. Time to inspect harness top to bottom. Had happen to me two different times. Once my fault as HID hot wire rubbed through. Second time had wire by coolant bottle rub through.

So this is absolutely caused by rub through? I mean why else would it catch fire?

Bare wires are touching metal or another bare wire somewhere. I melted a good chunk of my harness first Time, was smoking big time. Luckily no fire.

Well the stator wires had burnt to a crisp, but the wiring harness, where it connects to the stator, was untouched. Yeah, this is touching bare wires everywhere. Is it possible I fried the stator because of running it 10 secs?

I would just find the correct harness and replace, stators are spendy. New harnesses can be had on eBay if your patient.

Is it possible the new stator is damaged? Yes, with a dead short and burning wires it is possible...but I'm with Murder Yamaha. Find a new harness to put in it and see what you've got. I'd put it in some automotive wire loom for extra protection.

Last edited:
Wiring harness is almost out, now I just need to get the wires that go to the light and instrument panel under the motor. Do I need to lift the motor, for the connectors to clear? Seems to be very tight there. It is the worst I've ever seen, will post pics when I get it out, hopefully on friday.

The wiring harness in in, just need to plug it in. I have some questions.

Regarding the coils
Does the orange wire go to the black wire with a wire stripe? Does it matter which coil it is attached to?
The coils seem to be paralelly joined, black wire to black wire with a white stripe and then at the last coil, black with white stripe to the orange, and the black wire to the brown one in the harness. Does this seem right?

At the steer:
One yellow wire with a red stripe goes to one of the black wires of the handwarmers, and one black wire from the harness goes to one black wire of the handwarmers, and the other black wires (handwarmers) are joined together. Does this seem right?

This should help

Hand warmers, 2 wires coming out of each hand warmer and 2 wires from harness.
1 wire from warmer to other wire of warmer, then you have one left on each warmer, they plug into the 2 wires from harness. Doesn’t matter which one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I know what did this to the wiring harness. It almost caught fire again. The plus lead touched the battery heat sheield. The wiring harness smoked a little but I was able to stop it before it caught fire. Now you might think I friend the harness again, but everything seemed to be working. The sled ran as expected and idled as expected. Now I have a weird problem with the silencer smoking, doesn't seem to be exhaust, because it will smoke when I heat it up with a heat gun. It comes from between the heat shield and the silencer. Probably some water in the white material in between.

Back