Need LED bulb suggestion for swap

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
Changing over my 1997 700 SX to a dual bulb headlight.

The posts I have searched are old, and bulbs have come a long way.

Obviously need 2 bulbs that are H4, and draw the same or less than the single Halogen.

Suggestions?

Does your older age Yamaha sled use a 75 Watt stator system (like my 1999 Venture)?

If wondering, I have a recent thread ( https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/106601-99-vmax-600-deluxe-triple-headlight-bulb ) in progress. I'm still waiting for a few more LED bulbs to arrive and try out.... Thus, why this thread is active work-in-progress.....

As per my long thread, folks have told me:
- Stay under total 75 Watts. Way under using < 80% rule.
- Replace rear's 1157 BA15D tail light bulb with LED bulb - to free up more watts for front headlight Bulb Watts need. re: Upgrade the rear light before upgrading the front lights.
- Remember to take into account the LED bulb's "start up" wattage need. re: Bulb has running 20W but it might need short burst time of 35W (at immediate start up).

For me, I ordered / installed a single H4 LED "20 watt" Motorocycle bulb in my sled and its low and high beam work great. Perhaps 2 of these 20 Watt bulbs (for dual headlight system) will work for you? If not, perhaps you can use 2 x 18 Watt H4 LEDs for Motorcycle bulbs will work instead?

As one guy told me.... Buy lots of different LED bulbs and give different combinations a try.... And, remember to upgrade the rear light first - before upgrading the front light area.

For front LED "low wattage" bulbs:
- In Amazon for 20W, search for "Safego Motorcycle H4 LED Headlight Bulb H/L High Low Dual Beam 20W X2 2000lm Motorbike H4 LED Lights Kit M4-H4"
- In ebay for 18W, search for "Motorcycle LED H4 6500K HS1 Hi Lo COB Light Headlight Motorbike Bulb Lamp White"

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
I did see your thread, just didn’t see any final answers yet.
It’s tough when looking on eBay, to find out how much each one draws for power.
Also, saw someone say that the rear taillight led bulb, can draw almost as much or more than the stock one if you get the wrong one. I did put one in the taillight already. My charging system would be the same as yours.

Watts rating in ebay products can be found. But, it does take some scrolling up/down a few pages.

For 1157 rear bulbs, I ordered 2 different "white" bulbs. Hope to obtain them soon. re:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/White-DRL-T...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-1157-BA1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These 1157 LEDs are 3W rated bulbs. I assume 3/3 - compared to 6/28 (??) of Halogen bulbs. And, they are white. Some folks say that white behind red lens creates pink light. But, RED bulb behind red lens creates too dim of light during daytime. Not good for a brake light. Thus... I plan to try white first. And if needed, use try red LED bulbs next. Luckily, buying from ebay is very low cost.

Hope this helps in your testing...

Ok, it's AC.

To get the right power to headlight LEDs for max brightness, you would have to install a rectifier. Not rocket science, but some work involved.

Your harness is pretty busy. I personally would cut into the low beam and rectify that signal for 2x 30w led pods and leave the high as is.

Anyone done this successfully ?
If so, what bulbs ?
I know you can use lower watt halogens, but I want a brighter, non yellow light.

OK, I will research more into those.

On a side note, some have suggested using the 30/30w bulbs from a Grizzly..

They are not a H4 base, and look really inadequate. Cant see that as being an easy solution either.

Attachments

• bulb.jpg
    bulb.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2
OK, since my 1997 has AC at the headlight, and LED's need DC I gather, I need a bulb that has the built in convertor to DC, and has a draw of no more than 25 to 30 watts each.

Do the "Motorcycle LED" bulbs have the built in rectifier to go from AC to DC ?

Last edited:
But, i need 2 bulbs, and will be running a viper seat with 2 bulbs in tail light.

Maybe upgrading stator is a better idea.
Is it possible?
Or would I need to change wiring harness, cdi, coils ect.

If you do feed LEDs with AC, I suggest wiring one headlight one polarity and the other opposite. Same if dual tail lights. LEDs only let power through in one direction. So if you wire them in matched polarity, you will only ever be using half of what your stator puts out.

Any way you do it, LEDs are way more light per watt.

rock only sells them in pairs. i just put the other one from the kit in my wr250x. rock's kit is plug and play for ac and dc sleds, no extra wiring needed.

rock only sells them in pairs. i just put the other one from the kit in my wr250x. rock's kit is plug and play for ac and dc sleds, no extra wiring needed.

when I checked, these were not rectified. Any LED will run on AC, but it can only use half of the power from the stator when it is positive.

A quick hack around this is to wire LEDs in opposite polarity.

The full solution for max power is to rectify.

Back