Worst/best/funniest findings in a used sled

norwegian

Hi
Just wanted to make a thread about this, I've been thinking about this for a while. What are the best/worst/funniest mods you've ever seen on sleds you bought used?

2002 SRX: aftermarket skis, which make the front end sit too low, causing the track about at the center shock to be the lowest point on the sled, with the rear not touching the ground.

2001 SRX: bought this for a friend, and he bought it from me.

Small tie strap used for something under the hood, can' remember for what.

A cigarette lighter device that runs on electricity connected to YPVS cables, so I guess this guy had to either run the sled at below 900 rpm or above 6500 rpms to get light?

8 tooth anti ratchet drivers and 20/38 gearing on an SRX. It had a 1,5 inch long track but still. Blew 2 belts both at 140 kph because the belt climbed up and out of the primary. The skid has also been long travelled.

Hood was cracked and glued together again, so rather to just live with the white crack on one side of the hood, half of the hood was covered in plasti dip. Haven't fixed that yet because I don't know how to remove it.

The SRX has a reverse box. Bumper stopper (insulation mounting) not removed, making the silencer sit scewed and the pipes not to fit properly. Needless to say the exhaust gaskets were shot.
The damper for the muffler was a insulator for a heat pump, and was also too small, needless to say it was split right off.

09 phazer rtx had one coil replaced with one for a vector with a different spark plug as well. also had a welded rail that was broken again beside the weld. had washers welded into the front sub frame that where egged out just as bad as the stock holes in the frame.

1991 et400 t/r. this sled already had been well abused as the belly pan had been repaired with a chunk of heating duct as well as the track was toast when i bought it. had a steering problem that i fixed that the steering column separated when i was loading in up a ramp into the truck causing the throttle to go wot. found shitty repair and fixed it. also had a split fuel tank in a seam that was not evident until filled with gas. sled had 3500km at time of purchase.

Bought a 92 Vmax-4 for parts. Didn't really want it as it was in pieces and in not very good condition but the guy who had it wanted me to come get it out of his garage and the price was cheap so I picked it up. When stripping if for good parts I noticed some oddities on the rear suspension mounts and the serial number had an aluminum tag pop riveted over it. I got curious and drilled the pop rivets off and found this serial # under the tag. OMUO-2B008

After some research and verification I figured it must be a preproduction sled. After two years I found the original crankcase (OMUO-2E008 ) in a stash of parts that came from Tim Bender. It is now all back together, running and in Jon Bertolino's collection. Only one known to still exist.

opsled

Attachments

• omuo 3.png
    omuo 3.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 151
  • omuo 7.png
    omuo 7.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 154
  • omuo 10.png
    omuo 10.png
    78 KB · Views: 149
  • omuo 12.png
    omuo 12.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Bought my 2001 SRX with about 2100 miles.
Appeared to be bone stock, but noticed the track looked aggressive.
Upon further research, turns out to be a 8DN track, stock is 8EA.
The 8DN track is an optional 1.1” snow cross track. No clue how it got on there or why.
Still using it ! And works great.

Attachments

• kLqcvrVX-1171358376.jpg
    kLqcvrVX-1171358376.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I haven't bought this, but it is a used sled with a funny mod. Edit: modsoohmyeyes.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that windshield is pretty rare actually. I have never seen a blue dual bulb Yamaha windshield.

Nice sled right? Expensive skis, triple pipes... wait.. oooh... nooooo...

Attachments

• hitch from sovjet russia.jpg
    hitch from sovjet russia.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • sx-1.jpg
    sx-1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 12
  • sx-2.jpg
    sx-2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
This temp gauge set up

Attachments

• temp gauge.jpg
    temp gauge.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 25
  • what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 35
I don't have any pictures, but years ago I bought a used 93 Exciter ll SX. Instead of going through it like I knew I should I took it right out and rode it that weekend. Running so rich it kept fouling plugs (ended up dropping the needles two spots) and just didn't pull very good, got smoked by my buddy on his Phazer.
When I tore into the carbs and clutches it was obvious the clutches had never been off the sled...well except for when they broke the primary spring and had to remove the three outer face bolts to put a new spring in. I knew that had happened because I found about one quarter of the OLD SPRING still in there along with the new one. How blind can you be? They'd also blown at least one belt, all the strands were wrapped up in there to prove it. It's a wonder it would even move.
Definitely a pull the rope and as long as it runs and moves it's good type of person.
Oh, and my buddy talked a lot of you know what all week about his Phazer smoking my "new" Exciter, was awesome to listen to all week too lol. A bit different outcome the next weekend.

Back