485 Rebuild

xrjak650

Greetings,
I have acquired a 96' 485 out of a Phazer Mnt Lite. Free of course. The sled had filled a cylinder/crank case with gas when the PO was out riding. They fired it up and shut it off and towed it out. Has one bent rod. Everything else seems ok. I plan on having a new connecting rod and Connecting rod bearings installed. along with new seals and gaskets. AssuMEing I can get this done for a reasonable price (to me) I will likely replace the pistons and rings at the same time. Cylinders look good. but a light hone wont hurt. a quick measure showed std bore. I will have that confirmed with real tools later. looks like SPI has all the parts I need, and it looks to me like there are SPI pistons in it now. What are your thoughts on the SPI products? for a few dollars more Wiseco pistons are available, and others. If I can get it running i can have the chassis as well. But we wont go there right now. Am I forgetting anything its just a toy.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6

Between the two, stick w/ the SPIs. Wiscos expand at a different rate and can cause problems if you do not adhere to a STRICT warmup routine. SPIs & OEM are much more forgiving.

I dropped the crank of today. And will order up the pistons when that comes back.Thanks Shaggy

Got the crank back from the shop. They needed the case to true the crank for some reason but it sure turns smooth. Time to get the other parts coming,
Picked up a Venture chassis with a bad motor. Looks like the Phazer 2 ST will have to wait for while longer. IMG_2300.jpgIMG_2231.jpg

Got the SPI 10 over pistons and a gasket kit and put it all together today. need to get my hands on the Venture stater and flywheel to get that assembled. Was a fun build, and learned a lot on the forum using the old search feature. Thanks to those who chimed in on there thoughts. Will give an update at the end of season as to its running status (being my first rebuild and all).
7C72EA14-0D3F-4674-B882-128C481998B3.jpg

I already relocated the extended nuts to there proper location so please don't roast me on that.

Last edited:
“Will give an update at the end of season as to its running status”

It’s almost the end of the season here and it is still running (saw sleds running up to Jones pass last weekend to ride).
I was coming back from picking up one of my next projects a 90 Phazer that does not run (and it runs great of course). I will put that motor into my Phazer ST. I also picked up a 96 Venture TR that does run but has a gear case problem (Belt rapped up in the secondary is what I saw) and bad color choice may be part of it as well. I may use the reverse in the Phazer ST but am not sold on it completely.will have to see. Maybe make a sled for the daughter to try next winter (she says she wants to ride once but never comes home in the winter. 6BECE02F-DBBC-4845-9102-479ADFE4434B.jpgE944F0B6-0977-4A89-A67C-410BAAA5B9E0.jpg

Slow progress, wife is riding me hard about other things and not wasting my time with this junk. Though progress is being made. I have decided to go with the short track 90 Phazer 2 for the kid. I have that stripped down to a cookie sheet and will put reverse on that. A buddy has done some horse trading with me and is getting the purple venture with the maroon body work from the venture pictured above. On the Venture TR, I have gone through the rear skid, checked all bearings and wheels, The drive and jack shaft bearings. clutches cleaned and checked for wear. I just finished the front suspension today. Replaced strut shocks and re greased everything and put it together. Its sure nice when all the bolts come out and nothing is seized any where on this thing. Makes quick work of routine maintenance. I still need to swap the gas tank as the plastic on the hinge is broken. Have a spare all ready to go. Than swap the seat and back rest plus a few other items like strut cans. Should be a nice runner, With a 1,068 miles on the clock.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 5
Just FYI. If you are working on the ignition system, not all stator plates swap out cleanly between the Phazers and Ventures. Some of the early 90's Ventures use a different wiring harness with different connectors than the Phazers.

True words I had to swap the 93 Venture stator and flywheel onto the 96 Phazer motor when I installed it into the Venture. Luckily it was a strait swap. And all parts were good.

Back