Led bulbs on VT 500-600

norwegian

I've found several nice led bulbs for sleds, for both the front and rear light. Can I just swap the original bulb with a led one? Will something get hot, since the led bulb will use less watts than the original bulb? I've heard in the past that those who installed a "lights out black out" switch, that they had to install a resistor so someting would not heat up.

The tail light led needs to be at least 5 watts. Anything less and snow will not get melted off. Getting @ssended increases exponentially.
The tail led needs to be red. A white led + red lens = pink light.
Nothing else is needed for the taillight.
I don't do LEDs at the headlight so I am no help up front.

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/96434-rockztoys-LED-hid-review

this is the kit i use on my 2011 apex and on the 97 et410. there have been no problems with the wiring on either sled. the apex has led tail lamp stock and the et has a finicky rear tail light socket that will not run a led in the stock socket because of how the one i have is manufactured. the set in the 2011 finally lost a bulb this past season after running them for 4 seasons as a converter for the bulb melted down. bulbs have been in there for at least 20000km with no issues.

There seems to be no problem getting a red led light for the tail light. The real question is, will something get hot due to these bulbs using much less wattage?

Less wattage equals less current consumption equals less heat so the electrical system should drive them with no problem whatsoever.

possibly but that depends on battery condition as yamaha does not allow current to those grips until the battery is fully charged and the engine had to be above a certain rpm from what i was told and experianced on my dads 2005 sx700 venture. the guy i linked in for the head lamps made a kit for some of the sleds that had rear hand warmers so that they would work all the time but they needed to be turned off when no passenger to save the grips.

The led light needs to be at least 5 watts, and it will not heat cause less wattage equals less current consumption which means less heat, I am using these led lights into my Ram truck which I am using for Roadside Assistance Services, and its working great no problem at all.

Last edited:
I couldn't find a 5 w for the rear light but I bought it anyway, its 2-3 W.

Back