skid swap ?s

stolzy

VIP Member
think I've made up my mind to try a skid swap on my 98 srx too make it more friendly to my aging back.
I've a cpl options
1st- i already have a wrecked 01 thundercat i can pull parts from (only front end and motor are trashed)
2nd- found a 96 ski doo summit locally i could purchase for very reasonably and use that as a doner sled.
anyone have any feedback on one over the other? i know the tcat skid is a 121 and i think 13 inch of travel.
the summit is a 136" and 10" of travel. i mostly ride on trails and in fields

the 136 will bridge bumps better than the 121. not too up on ride qualities of those sleds but a mono from an apex would be a good up grade as well.

These two skids happen to be what I have available to me. Wanted to look into those first before exploring other options.
Pre ordered an 06 apex gt when they came out am still kicking myself for selling it.

decided to go with the ETT suspension out of the thundercat. will give me i believe that will give me close to 6" more suspension travel.
I have the donor sled so I'm going to measure from center of the shaft and top of the tunnel down to center of the bolt holes and transfer numbers to the srx.
Am i on the right track here or is there more to it?

pretty sure if i raise the back end that severly i'll have to raise the front at least some as well. pretty sure i read somewhere that trailing arms could be flipped if you switch sides? how much will this bring the front end up if its even possible to do this way?

decided to go with the ETT suspension out of the thundercat. will give me i believe that will give me close to 6" more suspension travel.
I have the donor sled so I'm going to measure from center of the shaft and top of the tunnel down to center of the bolt holes and transfer numbers to the srx.
Am i on the right track here or is there more to it?
I seen others have measured from the jackshaft with luck but I like to set the skids on the floor side by side and measure the difference of the bolt holes lineing up the rear axle fully collapsed. You would need a viper front end to raise front end up as the flip thing is only the top shock brackets.

thanks Blue. so, after getting the difference between the bolt holes where do i go from there. I'm missing something maybe just over thinking it.

Check if the width is the same for the axles,if you are going to use the yamy front mounts grind the mounts off the inside so you can move them back for the front holes ,as they wont be used up there no more. install just above the lip of the coolers for the right height. As said I like too look at the skidframes side by side and you can see the difference in were things line up for track adjustment. You will probably want to pull the limiters down and remove spring pressure so the sled dose not sit too high. Use the big washers for the rear holes that you have now.

Well, finally got around to tearing the cat skid out and it’s pretty beat up. In short I bought a sc10 lll skid. Should be here on Friday. A shame the pro action skid doesn’t work better it’s in really good shape. I’ll get some picks up on Friday. Read a bunch of posts on this swap think I have a good idea on what to do.

Blue or someone else, how long are the bolts for the cross shaft for the sc10?
Forgot to look want to pick them up on my way home if possible
Also looking for a set of skis if anyone has some good used ones laying around

Back