If you were me... what would you do??? part 1

MR. X

I bought a 2001 MM 700 in May.

Would like to upgrade front and rear suspension.

For the front:

The first one is for brand new KYB. They seem have longer and cannot know about if they are the samller or taller ones.

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/New-200...f7d5%7Ciid%3A1

This second choice is for a pair of used rebuildable. I could send them rebuilt according to my weight I think:

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-...f7d5%7Ciid%3A1

The third one, is the Ohlins. Do you think that the weld could affect performance and if they will hit and make some damages to the belly pan?

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Ohlins-...f7d5%7Ciid%3A1

I weight 250lbs ( more in muscle than in grease!! ) for 5feet 10.

WHAT would be the best choice???

Thank you for your time and god bless you .

Many thanks

If you were me... what would you do??? part 2

Regarding rear suspension upgrade for a MM700 2001: here are my options:

- Buy used SX Viper center and rear rebuildables KYB ? ( I do not know if there is differences between a Pro Action (MM700) and a Pro Action Plus ( Viper ) )

- Send my OEM chocks to the shockguru as he proposed me to make Fox shocks to fit the skid and my weight???

Once again , what would be you choice? Or another option if you think I'm not considering the best option.

Many thanks!!

Mountain Max shocks length are longer than the short ones(SX, SRX) and shorter than the long ones(XTC, Venture, Viper).

I have a mountain max also, and would like to use the longer KYB shocks as well, but will throw the front end geometry off a bit.
I have a doner XTC that I may pull trailing arms, radius rods, steering rods and shocks off and put them on the mountain max, then just put the longer KYB's in the rear as well, and lengthen the limiter straps.

Thanks Murder!

It sounds like ShockGuru is my only option!! As anyone ever experience one of his Fox duplication of OEM garbage shock?

I had no issues putting in a rear shock from an SX-R in my MM. It was too stiff due to the spring rate, so I removed it and put it on a venture. I even put a srx center shock into a 97 venture 500 lc with no issues, had no idea it was from an srx till I looked once more at it. The front suspension is way more complicated.

The #2 might fit. Check your shocks eye to eye distance. But I've never seen that brand before for Yamaha. The two others don't seem to fit directly because they are from trail sleds.

Been a while since I've wrenched on a 2 strokes but I recall that the viper shocks bolt in easy enough and are rebuildable. Fronts basically bolt in and the rears require a limiter strap adjustment and the transfer rods need to be extended.

Mm and xtc, viper all have the clevis type mount on the top, eyelet on the bottom.
They are interchangable, but, different legths will change the geometry of the front end.

I'm sorry for the late reply but here it is.
Ohlins shocks for the MM and transfer enhancement kitstraps1.jpgstraps 2.jpgohlins 2.jpgohlins 1.jpg

Sits about the same. It was bolt on, so I guess it is the same as stock. I can measure the stock shocks later.

They never made a Ohlins that are the same length as a MM shock as far as I know.
They are either SX, SRX length(short) or XTC, Viper, VMAX length(long).
So, since the shocks for a MM are in between the length of the short and longs, your sled will be either higher or lower in the front than it’s supposed to be for proper front end geometry.
Where did you get the shocks ? We’re they listed as srx shocks?
I think long travel shocks measure about 16.5” center to center if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I got them from carver performance 10-12 years ago, and I can't see a difference in how high it sits. The point is, it bolts right on.

Wow, that’s cool, they list the MM as a different part number than a Viper or SRX, so I’m guessing those are stock length.
Super cool and rare! Never knew there was such a thing.

Back