Viper cdi in 01 srx

If memory serves me correctly, 8BU 00 weights with a bender orange spring and 12mm of engage ment shims.

Green secondary spring at 70. I would run the weights empty and not go over 9000 rpm with stock pipes on a viper box. 52/42 helix

19/40 gears.

Last edited:
Yeh I am running 8bu with 3.1 in each hole with green spring at 90twist with 51/43 helix, orange spring, engagement at 4500, Yammiegod set up said to use a max performance white, orange spring is all I had to test.i have a Yamaha www spring but engages way to low and only went 8100.

Sorry, 21/40 gearing, slight hesitation out if hoke but came on hard mid track by then it was over though. Took a second place.
Mains 137.5 all the way across
Pilots 52.5, fuel screws 1/ 1/2out.

Last edited:
Have you pulled your carb needles all the way up? I did that when I raced and no hesitation. 21/40 gears seems a little tall for 500

Viper cdi in srx

Have you pulled your carb needles all the way up? I did that when I raced and no hesitation. 21/40 gears seems a little tall for 500
I have them stock setting as of now per(Tony), I heard that 21/40 was more of a 660ft gearing but that's what I had to start with so it didnt hurt for the first race I guess. I have a 20t
Top gear coming this week. I do have a 50/46 max performance helix I could try with the orange spring with green at 70 twist.
I'll can try the needles up too I guess.

I wouldnt go any taller than 20/40 for sure. With your needles all the way up you can run 42.5 pilots. I ran stock fuel screw settings. I think you might be going the wrong way on the Max Pef helix. It would likely drop your RPMs too low on that finish angle. 135 mains work great for grass in the summer

I started with fuel screws at 1 turn out but after a few test hits the plugs had a little tiny whiter look to them so I went to 1 1/2.
I'll go back to stock at 1 1/8 with needles at top. 42.5 pilots sounds a little lite dont I need more fuel because of the load on engine at the line? Thank you
Appreciate the help. I hated losing to a xc700.

And I was going do 19 top gear but I heard that you'd spin too much at the line, oh yea I was the only Yamaha at the races.
Which was kinda cool.

Congrats on 2nd. The XC 700 is a bunch lighter but should not touch a SRX in 500. SRX is heavy, especially compared to a F7, another reason I ran 19/40 with success.

If you have plenty of picks in the track, traction shouldn't be an issue. I would run them all down the center. Do you have the larger 5.35 inch idle wheels installed? That will help reduce drag a bunch.

Viper cdi in srx

Congrats on 2nd. The XC 700 is a bunch lighter but should not touch a SRX in 500. SRX is heavy, especially compared to a F7, another reason I ran 19/40 with success.

If you have plenty of picks in the track, traction shouldn't be an issue. I would run them all down the center. Do you have the larger 5.35 inch idle wheels installed? That will help reduce drag a bunch.
Yeh I know I should smoke that sled, I also raced in 700 imp
And I took second behind a loud f7 got me on the holeshot but ran him down to a half a sled! If I could leave hard ilk probably not have an issue in the next race. I do have the extra 5.35 wheels. I think I'm going to run the 19t top gear and that should help my holeshot for sure. Did you run pod filters or stock air box? I run the stock.

I am in muskegon on the west lakeshore.
I forgot to ask do you have a white Max performance primary spring you'd like to sell or should I stay with the orange one I've been using..engagement at 4500, I think it may be a touch low.
Ty

I had engagement at 5000 with the bender set up. 4500 is a tad low. I dont think I have anything except gears and chains and some Yamaha springs. Do you ever get up across the bridge to ride? I ran everything stock including CDI. There's been talk before about going out to 9000 on stock pipes with viper cdi.

Last edited:
Yeh I think that's low too probably why my holeshot sucked, I have some engagement shims I can try with orange spring I'm pretty sure it's a max performance spring which is rated at 55/135, Yammiegod tony says 5500 is ideal for grass drags. Not sure what spring would get there.
We usually ride in kalkaska or baldwin mostly but we are planning a yooper trip this year��

Last edited:
I had engagement at 5000 with the bender set up. 4500 is a tad low. I dont think I have anything except gears and chains and some Yamaha springs. Do you ever get up across the bridge to ride? I ran everything stock including CDI. There's been talk before about going out to 9000 on stock pipes with viper cdi.
I should have bought gears from you if I would have known.
Lol

A lot of guys have stuff. Mine has been in a box for years. Just post a wanted ad in the classifieds. You could PM mrviper700 or yamigod about machining your primary for a much higher engagement.

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread...ermarket-spring-rates?highlight=purple+spring
heavy hitter spring close finish with higher engagement. if your interested might be able to get you that max black spring from a guy who had left over inventory. i just ordered some purple and red from him. he had no white though. heavy hitter is a thunder spring just incase you were not aware.

Yeh I have a wanted ad for the max white spring with no luck, if you can get me the max black spring I'll take it.
Thank you
Jeff

Back