Looking at getting back into snowmobiling - what sled should I look at getting

rkkoeb

After 20 years not snowmobiling my wife and I would like to get back into the sport. As much as I would like a 4 stroke not sure if I want to pay that much right now. Looking for early to mid 2000 model snowmobile that has electric start, reverse and hand/thumb warmers. I am more concern about ride quality than I am speed but still would like some performance. Looking for what people would recommend getting. Last sled was I believe a 98 XTC 600 if I remember correctly which we had purchase new.

Thanks

the viper er ride and handle pretty well as do the sx ventures and the sx venom. both those sleds had reverse and e startn the shocks on the vipers where rebuildable (other than viper s rear) and the suspension could be adjusted to ride decently. the rx warriors and the 05 rx1 are both pretty decent riding sleds and they can have high miles and still be in good shape with lots of up-grades still possible.

The early 4 strokes are dirt cheap. I've seen Many 03 Rx1's under $1500. Any of them will be better than any of the last two strokes Yamaha built. You won't believe how good they are coming off that 98 600.

opsled

Meh, I recommend a 2 stroke. Why not a 02 vmax dlx 700? I bet you can find those even cheaper.

Good choice if you mean the 2 strokes. Should be pretty cheap to buy and to operate.

99-02 if you want a trailing arm model. Other than that, once you get to 1995, it's pretty much the same (new clutches since then if I remember correctly). It depends what on colors and decals you like the best.

If going liquid two stroke stay with the 3 cylinders. Two and three cylinders are both dependable but the 2 cylinders are very hard on gas. 7 to 8 mpg vs 11 to 15 mpg for triples.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I happen to find a 1999 Vmax 500 Deluxe with 2600 miles on in. Great condition and I picked it up for $800 Most likely will becomes my sons sled but we will see this winter. Thanks for everyone's help

I started riding again this year after an 18 year absence. First bought a 96 Vmax 600 XTC, then decided I wanted reverse too. Sold it and bought a real nice 04 Warrior with 8600 miles. Sled ran great on a trip to St. Germain the first of Feb. That sled wore me out, it's heavy and turning it was a chore. Even took off the duel carbides, didn't help. I sold that sled as soon as I got home from the trip. I just bought a 2002 Vmax 600 er and am very happy with it. Didn't get a chance to go back North but have ridden it around my place in the last snow we had. Much easier to handle for me, I'm going on 70 and the Warrior was much faster and too hard to handle for me.
The 600ER has a much softer seat too.

I have both 2 and 4 strokes, and I like the 4-stokes better. I love my Apex (Attak). No cleaning carbs. You can find them cheap. I run snowtracker carbides. Bummer you think it is a chore to turn. I have yet to find a sled that turns better. Have ridden Viper ER's, '95 Vmax's and '98 Vmax's. I know we are all talking opinions. And would say it took me a season to get my Attak to where I like it. We ride fast and pass a lot of groups and don't get passed. I have a couple buddies that have the '98 Vmax's and Vipers and the are right there with us in the corners until we get to the straight away. Sorry, to make this longer, but I think you can make any sled rail around the corners. Just might take some tweaking.

Last edited:

Back