Thread: Looking at getting back into snowmobiling - what sled should I look at getting

Junior Member Mini

Default Looking at getting back into snowmobiling - what sled should I look at getting

After 20 years not snowmobiling my wife and I would like to get back into the sport. As much as I would like a 4 stroke not sure if I want to pay that much right now. Looking for early to mid 2000 model snowmobile that has electric start, reverse and hand/thumb warmers. I am more concern about ride quality than I am speed but still would like some performance. Looking for what people would recommend getting. Last sled was I believe a 98 XTC 600 if I remember correctly which we had purchase new.

Thanks

the viper er ride and handle pretty well as do the sx ventures and the sx venom. both those sleds had reverse and e startn the shocks on the vipers where rebuildable (other than viper s rear) and the suspension could be adjusted to ride decently. the rx warriors and the 05 rx1 are both pretty decent riding sleds and they can have high miles and still be in good shape with lots of up-grades still possible.
    sleds
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence (apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Senior Member Open Mod

The early 4 strokes are dirt cheap. I've seen Many 03 Rx1's under $1500. Any of them will be better than any of the last two strokes Yamaha built. You won't believe how good they are coming off that 98 600.

opsled
    I reserve the right to change my mind if someone can prove to me it needs replacing.

Senior Member Open Mod A couple of bucks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opsled View Post
    The early 4 strokes are dirt cheap. I've seen Many 03 Rx1's under $1500. Any of them will be better than any of the last two strokes Yamaha built. You won't believe how good they are coming off that 98 600.

opsled
    An RX1 with adjustable(on the fly) air ride in particular.
    Dannyboy

Senior Member Open Mod norwegian's Avatar

Meh, I recommend a 2 stroke. Why not a 02 vmax dlx 700? I bet you can find those even cheaper.
    2002 SRX 700. The 120++ mph sled. Gearing, Dalton helix, belly pan protector, MM skis, Maxx perf transfer rods, TPI valves, temp gauge and heelclickers
    2001 MM 700. Reedstopper notch, hauck headgasket, Heelclickers, Hauck Magnum roller, Dalton helix, transfer enhancement kit, temp gauge, bellypan protector.
    1999 VT 600. European edition. Cargo rack, cargo box, tow hitch, 50/36 Dalton helix.
    1997 VT 500.Tempaflow, dupont hyfax, belly pan protector, 39 deg helix, heeclickers, tow hitch.

Junior Member Mini

What about the phazer line up, my wife seems to like them

Good choice if you mean the 2 strokes. Should be pretty cheap to buy and to operate.
    2002 SRX 700. The 120++ mph sled. Gearing, Dalton helix, belly pan protector, MM skis, Maxx perf transfer rods, TPI valves, temp gauge and heelclickers
    2001 MM 700. Reedstopper notch, hauck headgasket, Heelclickers, Hauck Magnum roller, Dalton helix, transfer enhancement kit, temp gauge, bellypan protector.
    1999 VT 600. European edition. Cargo rack, cargo box, tow hitch, 50/36 Dalton helix.
    1997 VT 500.Tempaflow, dupont hyfax, belly pan protector, 39 deg helix, heeclickers, tow hitch.

Junior Member Mini

What was the last year the phazer was a 2 stroke?

99-02 if you want a trailing arm model. Other than that, once you get to 1995, it's pretty much the same (new clutches since then if I remember correctly). It depends what on colors and decals you like the best.

Senior Member Improved

If going liquid two stroke stay with the 3 cylinders. Two and three cylinders are both dependable but the 2 cylinders are very hard on gas. 7 to 8 mpg vs 11 to 15 mpg for triples.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk