97 VMAX Clutch issue

4wealn

Hello everyone. Year before last I started noticing that I was having some belt slippage. On take off and when I would slow down and then hit the throttle it would smell like rubber. I looked at my belt and it was an 8DN. My sled is supposed to have an 8CH. I looked at all the weights and cleaned the clutches with no difference. I was looking at one of the manuals that gives all the updates from Yamaha (2001 tech updates) and I noticed that there was service bulletin that Yamaha put out to change the 97 from an 8CH to 8DN belt. Oh by the way, I tried an 8CH belt and it was worse than the 8DN for slipping.

The bulletin gave the changes for the weights and rollers that need to be done to upgrade to the 8DN belt. I ordered all the parts and replaced them. The slipping was better, still a bit but what I noticed is that when cruising at around 40 mph it would almost be like it was stuck there, I would have to give it lots of throttle to get it to start moving faster and downshift (if I may use that term). The way it was before had no kind of flat spot. I am thinking of just going back to the way it was and just deal with the slippage.

Are there any ideas as to what has gone wrong. I followed all the proper parts that I replaced.

The change from the manual is as follows for the 8CH to 8DN belt:
For the primary clutch - The weight remains the same, the outside rivet goes from 10.3 to 13.9, the inside rivet goes from 13.3 to 13.9, the roller goes from 15 to 14.5, and the spring remains the same.
For the secondary clutch - everything remains the same except for the shim, it goes from 0.5 to 1mm and that changes the belt height from 0-2mm to about 0.5mm.

Everything went in correctly and it all ran perfect except for the flat spot that I described above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or should I just go back to the original setting and deal with the slippage. There was no flat spot.

Thank you in advance.

x2 on what yamitriple said. bro's 97 sx700 was so full of belt dust and corrosion that once i had the spring out, i could barely move the clutch. once cleaned so i could get full travel, it is engaging much better. now if i could get it to run right.....

Back