97 sx700 running issue

Maim

Super Moderator
here is the story, brother got a 97 sx700 in a trade/deal from a guy. it was running great when he got it. he loaned to a guy that was thinking of purchasing it. guy kept it for 2 seasons and gave it back not running and said he did not want it. told him there was no spark. bro handed it to me to get running. been picking at it between maintenece on other sleds.

things i have found/fixed so far. fuel filter was missing, replaced. cleaned carbs and replaced all jets. found that some one had cleaned carbs before and the air screws where set all weird. set back to stock. left tors bypassed. verified that it had spark on all 3 cyl and re mounted a bunch of stuff that was dangling. put 3 gallons of fresh 91 octane mixed 50:1 as do not know oil pump condition/setting. cleaned clutches as they where horrible.

poured mixed gas in cylinders with good plugs and it fired on all 3 cyls initally. as it warmed up, it lost mag cyl fire and has intermittent spark on centre cyl. pto has good fire.

going to clean the carbs again but there is good gas from how the plugs read/smell. going to also add a ground from the engine to the frame and fix/disconnect kill switch as it was not working when i tried it while engine was running.

anything else i should check for while i am at it?

flywheel was rusty. cleaned up last night and re-installed. had to wait on starting it as i needed the piston ring for the pipe to the muffer witch shocked me as my dealer had it in stock.

next problem has been discovered, pulled the dipstick on the chaincase and found some one has packed it full of grease. fix that next once i get the engine and kill switch sorted out.

well i have had qualified sucess! it now runs on all 3 cylinders once i put good plugs into it. now to see what is wrong with idle as it is idling at 4000rpm with no leaks i can spray with brake cleaner in the short time i had it running today.

guessing someone cranked up the idle screw on the carb rack when it was running poorly to get it not to die.
Adjust and should be fine.

well i found the problem for the high idle, some one adjusted the oil cable for 2mm insead of 19-21mm. set to 19mm and re set idle to 1600. runs like a champ now.

now onto the electrical gremlins as well as bearing packing for the clutch and speedo. then onto the fun one, cleaning the grease out of the chain case that some one packed it with and see if i can actually fix the problem.

well i found the problem for the high idle, some one adjusted the oil cable for 2mm insead of 19-21mm. set to 19mm and re set idle to 1600. runs like a champ now.

now onto the electrical gremlins as well as bearing packing for the clutch and speedo. then onto the fun one, cleaning the grease out of the chain case that some one packed it with and see if i can actually fix the problem.

I bet the reason for the grease packed in the chaincase was a oil leak they couldn,t fix...:itchy:

I bet the reason for the grease packed in the chaincase was a oil leak they couldn,t fix...:itchy:
Many a gearboxes on brush hogs are found that way. I prefer 00 grease to keep working that piece of equipment. 00 is pourable and lubes Waaaay better than straight grease. I actually make my own. 1.25 quarts(ish) of 80/90,one tube of #2 grease and a $2 garage sale blender.
This is until I can replace the gasket/oil seal.

Last edited:
well i do have a complete spare sx chassis case and cover if i need them.

got lucky with the tail lamp as i cleaned the socket and put in a new bulb. still have to go through kill switch to see why it is not working.

then onto the grease messes.

Back