clutch removal help

Southpaw

Morning All,

I help some help or trick of the trade for clutch removal. I have A 98 700 XTC im trying to remove the clutch. Got the puller in there and it wont budge, im afraid im going to pull the threads out of the clutch. Any ideas ? im sure it has not been off since the sled was built.

Yes, put some good pressure with the clutch puller, without stripping threads of course. Then lightly tap the puller with a metal hammer. The vibration and shock from the metal to metal strike is usually the ticket to let it pop loose.

Yep tried that still not budging. soaked it down with penetrating oil gonna wait a few days and try again

fill the hole where the puller goes in with grease as it acts like a hydraulic press. just did a sx 700 my brother got that i swear it has never been off from the corrosion off that way with burping with electric impact. i have had to use water/ice on one and i have had to cut one off with a grinder as it stripped the threads in the clutch.

IMG_20190925_21442.jpg

So thinking the worst case scenario, if the clutch doesnt survive removal. I have this on another vmax 600 but i dont think they are stock. Anyone recognize this?? dont see a name on them....

Not sure of brand of red parts, but they are stock clutches.
The red part on the primary clutch is supposed to be a lightweight cover, and the red part on the secondary clutch is a roller secondary setup.

Not sure of brand of red parts, but they are stock clutches.
The red part on the primary clutch is supposed to be a lightweight cover, and the red part on the secondary clutch is a roller secondary setup.

OK thats good to know, thank you. i get the lightweight cover, less rotating mass. but what does the secondary roller setup help with ?

It takes the place of the stock helix. When the secondary is opening, it slides on 3 plastic buttons.
With the roller secondary, there is less friction because it riding on wheels, instead of sliding on plastic buttons.

Good idea!! Ok I get it roller helix is like a roller cam in a car engine. Reduces friction. Starting to understand this clutching business. Ordered the clutch book don't remember the name Olaf something. Need to educate myself.

SUCCESS!! Clutch finally popped off with quite a bang. Had to order a new puller which when i installed it was only engaging the clutch by 4 threads (pay attention to anyone buying a puller) cut about 1/2" off the end of the puller so it would engage about a dozen threads. filled the hole with grease and gave it almost everything i had and bang off it came. Big thanks to all those that gave me there input.

Back