yamaha vmax 700sx gearing

trevor1203

hey so this year i am trying to set up my sled for those top speed runs on the lakes and fields. where i ride me and my brother like to do little races but there always for an extended length so top end matters quite a bit. do you think it would be worth gearing up or is that just going to make the bottom end horrible. the sled has reed spacers and i just picked up a set of hauck triples for it to. also any other worth doing mods would be greatly appreciated. i also ride trails so reliability is still needed.

I think I can help you here.
I can give you jetting, gearing, clutching, ect.

Why don't you start by telling me what you all have to work with ?
Weights, helixes, ect.

I think I can help you here.
I can give you jetting, gearing, clutching, ect.

Why don't you start by telling me what you all have to work with ?
Weights, helixes, ect.

I am using the stock weight right now was just plannimg on drilling them and reweighting them to achieve the proper 9100 rpms. For the helix i the stock one as of right now but i have another one laying around but i cant remember the specs on it. Other than that its a pretty stock machine besides the spacers and pipes to start with.

Ok so i saw the jetting and clutch specs your buddy is running. I have a couple questions for you. So where i run theres quite a few times i will be running pump 87 what would you recommend for those jetting. Also with that clucth set up what do you see for top speed? And finally would you recommend changing the gearing for a better top end or is that a big sacrifice? Edit: so i found a set of 8cr weights for sale but i cant find the 13.3 rivet to add. Where can i find those?

Last edited:
9100 RPMS is too much for a stock sled, you will lose power with the RPMS that High. Your rpms should be around 8300 for most power.

Why bother messing with old tech stock weights? Go with heelclickers or at least some adjustable weights.

okay so i got my pipes installed. i have also geared it up to 23:39 from the 23:40. how much do you think this will help?

okay so i got my pipes installed. i have also geared it up to 23:39 from the 23:40. how much do you think this will help?
You obviously do realize that the hole shot will be not what it was at the 23/40. I'd venture to guess that that a 22/39 would close in on what you what you are looking for. I.E. .... to stomp your brother. A non power-valved 700 does well on both ends w/ that combo. You might end up w/ that 40 back in her though. 23/39 is more gearing than a sx7 can achieve. Personally for what you are looking for.... I'd go 22/40. I think you'll be disappointed w/ the 23/39 hole shot.
I'm quite sure I have a 22 toother collecting dust.
You do have a gram scale right? This is similar to mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Balance...awAAOSwiZddOziB:sc:USPSFirstClass!61064!US!-1

Last edited:
You obviously do realize that the hole shot will be not what it was at the 23/40. I'd venture to guess that that a 22/39 would give you what you are looking for. I.E. .... to stomp your brother. A non power-valved 700 does well on both ends w/ that combo. You might end up w/ that 40 back in her though. 23/39 is more gearing than a sx7 can achieve. Personally for what you are looking for.... I'd go 22/40. I think you'll be disappointed w/ the 23/39 hole shot.
I'm quite sure I have a 22 toother collecting dust.
You do have a gram scale right? This is similar to mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Balance...awAAOSwiZddOziB:sc:USPSFirstClass!61064!US!-1

Ok thanks for the help i might try to run that 23 39 set up first but i do have a 22 i could throw into it to give it a try aswell.

Back