Bravo LT Replacement Track or Studding ?

Bravosaurus

I have two Yamaha Bravo LT’s an 87 and a 95. I would like to get better traction on glare ice and iced up hard pack as I have spun out, wiped out, or failed to get enough traction many times. I tried kold kutter screws and they all pull out in one season I was thinking of either installing .75 inch push through studs or putting in a new 1.1 inch ice ripper track with the small screw in studs. My concern is clearance on the bulkhead with the longer paddle and it being too tall for the little 250 even though it is geared down. I have never heard of people studding Bravos and realize it will scrape on the tunnel if it bottoms out.
I ride in central and Northern MN and southern and Northern Canada on lakes, portage trails and out in the bush.
Thoughts? Experiences?

I have two Yamaha Bravo LT’s an 87 and a 95. I would like to get better traction on glare ice and iced up hard pack as I have spun out, wiped out, or failed to get enough traction many times. I tried kold kutter screws and they all pull out in one season I was thinking of either installing .75 inch push through studs or putting in a new 1.1 inch ice ripper track with the small screw in studs. My concern is clearance on the bulkhead with the longer paddle and it being too tall for the little 250 even though it is geared down. I have never heard of people studding Bravos and realize it will scrape on the tunnel if it bottoms out.
I ride in central and Northern MN and southern and Northern Canada on lakes, portage trails and out in the bush.
Thoughts? Experiences?

If it was me, I would go with studs and tunnel protectors.

according to the reference chart i found online, http://www.psep.biz/store/yamaha_snowmobile_tracks.htm, the 95 can probably get a new 1" ice ripper installed as it looks like it has a 2.52 pitch track factory. the 87 needs drivers to convert it to get a 2.52 pitch track.

as to clearance, measure from the driver edge to the tunnel to see what you can get away with. on the 1990 et400 t/r, it will take an 1-1/4" ripsaw no problem as long as track tension is kept snug as i put one into one last season. did the same with a 1997 et410t/r 2 years ago.

After 2000 or so, they came with a real lug track. Easily replaced...or pick it if you want ice performance. I think it will handle a 3/4 or 1" lug if I recall correctly.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input and ideas. I am going to just stud it with Woody's shortest stud 7500 with a 1.16 overall length with will give me a .37 inch bite over the lug.
Is the stock 136" track a single or double ply track? My guess is it's a double because of how old it is but I have made asuming mistakes before.
Thanks again!

Back