1998 Yamaha venture 700 triple bogging & misfire issue

Justinmckenzie

I have a 1998 Yamaha venture 700 triple deluxe. It ran perfectly fine, always serviced at the dealer every fall. It was parked for a year then then all hell broke loose. It would idle, but as soon as I would give it throttle it would bog down. I couldn't figure it out. So I brought it to the dealer, they checked and cleaned the carbs, apperently there was a stick needle. They checked phasing, changed the plugs, adjusted the clutch, still a bogg and missfire. They said it might be a CDI box ... So I changed the cdu box. Exact same. I changed the stator and cleaned the fly wheel, same thing.

So we know the carbs are good, clutching is good, plugs are good, 125 psi in all 3 cylinders good resistance in the coils, stator and flywheel are good... I've spent $1000 on this old sled trying to figure out the issue and still can't find it! Ive checked all visible wiring and bypassed the throttle switch. Any ideas where I should start looking next?

I have a 1998 Yamaha venture 700 triple deluxe. It ran perfectly fine, always serviced at the dealer every fall. It was parked for a year then then all hell broke loose. It would idle, but as soon as I would give it throttle it would bog down. I couldn't figure it out. So I brought it to the dealer, they checked and cleaned the carbs, apperently there was a stick needle. They checked phasing, changed the plugs, adjusted the clutch, still a bogg and missfire. They said it might be a CDI box ... So I changed the cdu box. Exact same. I changed the stator and cleaned the fly wheel, same thing.

So we know the carbs are good, clutching is good, plugs are good, 125 psi in all 3 cylinders good resistance in the coils, stator and flywheel are good... I've spent $1000 on this old sled trying to figure out the issue and still can't find it! Ive checked all visible wiring and bypassed the throttle switch. Any ideas where I should start looking next?

I was chasing a similar issue on a Polaris last season. After changing most parts you mentioned I checked the fuel pump that had some bad membranes. Also try bypassing any fuel filter from tank to fuel pump and also check in-tank fuel hose. Could check crankcase vacuum pulse line also.

1. Take some used plugs and clean them up w/ a bench wire wheel.
2. Install.
3. After sled is good and warm, remove them.
4. The plug that is the cleanest needs to have its pilots scrutinized. Or just changed for piece of mind.

Back