Holy completely corroded chaincase, Batman!! (1998 VMAX 700XTC Deluxe)

bohnjerry

chaincase1.jpgchaincase2.jpg

Hello People, first post!
Me and my son found a neglected project sled and began to run though it... We've made it through the engine, and clutches... Then we decided to start and run it.. then tried adding a belt and checking the clutches.. The engine and clutches checked out, but noticed we had no power to the track.. Opened the chaincase and saw this.....

Now.. I know we probably should have pulled everything apart and not started anything until we ran through it all.. but succumbed to the temptation of seeing where we stood.

I would assume (besides the chain), that perhaps I can save the gearings? I would think this is just surface rust, but have others found this leads to other failures?

Where would you go from here (besides a gallon of gas and a match)?

Thanks all!

Tear it down replace ll the bearings seals and chain. Soak all the gears in evaporust. polish things and put it back together with fresh oil. I'll bet it will be fine

Cool! Thanks! I'm also having a tough time finding out which chain goes in here... the 66, 68, or 70 link chain? Where it has reverse, I assume it needs more links.. but the VMAX parts stores seem to list these three for the VMAX. Sorry if I missed an article on this forum.. but I'm coming up as dry as this chaincase is....

just counted mine same sled it has 70 links. Just blew up the picture, the gear on the lower shaft closest to the track looks stripped....

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but I think your chaincase's guts are junk.
Best to try to find another set of gears and all associated parts.

Last edited:
Looks like a new used reverse chain case internals are needed. Lots of stress on those parts, not worth saving IMO. Check around here, someone will have a used set. Cases are good, just clean up. Replace bearings and seals.

X2 get a good used set.

You don't want a catastrophic chaincase case failure at 80+ mph or in the middle of nowhere.

Back