Can I put a battery in a 03 sx viper non electric start model

David Mcfadzen

Does anyone know if I can put a battery in my non electric start 03 sx viper without alot of grief? I just want it to run some accessories like heated shield and led powermadd hand gaurds, I dont want to cause excessive strain on my stator with these and figured if I knew what wire I could tie into to charge battery than problem solved. Thanks for your help, Dave

Thanks for your response, so you wish to elaborate? Would I have to go as far as getting a wiring harness from an er model?

I would have to look over the wire schematic to see whats tied into what. A harness with electric start, I would think could help but there has to be another regulator or something that will limit the mount of charge to the battery so your dont over charge it.

The battery (for an electric start sled) is used to start the sled only. Once running, the stator supplies all voltage including replenishing the battery. The voltage regulator keeps the system voltage at approx. 13.5V as to not harm any electrical components. I have installed a battery / electric start on my SRX's with no issues.

For the ease and cost I would just add the electric start. By the time you buy parts and what you need it’s just as easy to buy a nice used kit. The sled is pre wired for the e start so all you need is the harness that plugs into lead by right side foot well and you would have a keyed charging system for a battery.

Back