What would cause the counter balance to break. Pto side.

Mortagleus

Just curious, finally tore into the case after sitting for ever. Thought the bearing went but looks like the crank counter weight broke. Just currious what would cause this. 1999 srx700. Also by the look of the aluminium casing the counter weight dug into the casing ant thats where the aluminum came from that took out pto cylinder.

Last edited:

Just curious, finally tore into the case after sitting for ever. Thought the bearing went but looks like the crank counter weight broke. Just currious what would cause this. 1999 srx700. Also by the look of the aluminium casing the counter weight dug into the casing ant thats where the aluminum came from that took out pto cylinder.

I never heard of that unless thats where it was suppose to be welded, I know back in the day they could get out of phase and there was a bulletin about taking them in to have the cranks welded.

Me neither. Filled gas up from almost emptyn,Was driving for about 30 min before (snow covered lake) i got to a buddies house, shut off for 5 min then drove only 100 feet to next buddies house and shut off, then drove about 2 miles groomed down trail at about 30 to 35 mph( 50 to 60 kph) and then heard the bog. Shut down immediatly. Originally thought crank seal as spark plug did have some silver stuck to it but when i opened it up, nothing seamed right. Carbs were cleaned 2 times in the week prior as sled was backfiring, popping the exhuast ( that ended up being bad plug cable. Did about 200 km np after and then bog. Dead and towed.

Me neither. Filled gas up from almost emptyn,Was driving for about 30 min before (snow covered lake) i got to a buddies house, shut off for 5 min then drove only 100 feet to next buddies house and shut off, then drove about 2 miles groomed down trail at about 30 to 35 mph( 50 to 60 kph) and then heard the bog. Shut down immediatly. Originally thought crank seal as spark plug did have some silver stuck to it but when i opened it up, nothing seamed right. Carbs were cleaned 2 times in the week prior as sled was backfiring, popping the exhuast ( that ended up being bad plug cable. Did about 200 km np after and then bog. Dead and towed.

Unless the crank started to get out of phase and then it broke from fighting the out of phase firing. That would be like someone pounding on it with a sledge hammer.

Back