Clutch alignment ....

Southpaw

98 XTC 700. I bought the the alignment tool thinking it would make my life easier, but its not. Im either missing something or something is wrong. book says offset is 20 mm for this sled cause it has electric start. Anybody use the yamaha alignment tool?? im not sure im using it correctly. Pics would be great if you got them. as i understand it the offset is the distance between the planes of the inboard side of the two clutches. 15 mm for non electric start and 20 mm for electric start im guessing the 5 mm compensates for the ring gear thickness ?? this makes no sense cause the ring gear is about 7mm thick...:o| i must be missing something, help me understand please

Rode the sled last night. Getting some squealing. Can anyone help me understand how to use this tool?

IMG_20191202_57108.jpg

So if im doing this correctly, the thin part of the tool goes to the back side of the starter ring gear on the primary and the other end the wide part should touch the back side of the secondary, does this sound correct??

IMG_20191202_57108.jpg

this might help clarify how i'm using the tool. If im doing this correctly then i have a problem cause the secondary side is not touching by about 2-3 mm. And i cant move the secondary farther inboard cause its touching the bearing now...... Something not right...

From my understanding, and the way I use them, is that the inner part (the part between your 2 black arrows), goes on the secondary, the part where your arrows are stays above, so the in-set part rides on the back of the secondary.
Is that alignment tool specifically for an electric start model ?

The secondary should have some play, so it can move in and out on the shaft freely. You should be measuring with it pushed all the way in, towards the bearing.

Last edited:
Yes this a yamaha clutch tool for electric start. Where im using it is the only place it measures 20 mm. The cut out is 5mm deep im thinking thats for non electric start. The secondary is all the way over to the bearing, the gauge says it needs to go more

The inset goes flush with the back of the secondary, just did mine the other day with 2 different tools.
One that goes on the back of the primary, then has the straight part that shows how close you are in the back of the secondary.
And, once with the tool like you have there. Both said the same thing.
Try it like I said.

Also, if anything needs to move, you move the motor to align the clutches, don't try to do anything with the secondary.

I get what your saying, but if i use the inset part against the secondary that is 15 mm offset and says the secondary needs to move about 8 mm inward and im already against the jackshaft bearing.... im clearly missing something or these clutches arent original

Maybe post a pic of it when you have the tool on there.
I have never concerned myself with offset numbers.
I was taught to have the tool lined up so when on the secondary, its flush to the back of the primary.
Also, I check the center to center measurement.

yep, your close, but take the belt off, then raise your tool till the inset part is touching the back of the secondary

that pic is with the other end against the back of the ring gear. i'm thinking its not supposed to be in the inset part, thats a long way off. wondering if the inset is so it doesnt interfere with the screws that hold the sheet metal covers on??

no, its like I said, inset sits flush on secondary
maybe your alignment tool is for non electric start ?

Here are my non electric start tools

Attachments

• Resized_20191121_094013.jpg
    Resized_20191121_094013.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
its stamped "20 mm for electric start" and the part # matches for electric start ys-42121-2. I dont see anyway to move the motor that far without drilling out the motor mounts:o|

Here is the jist of it..
If you were to take a straight edge to the back of each clutch, there should be 20mm gap

correct and i am unable to get there. just loosened the motor and pulled it as far over as it would go, pushed the secondary all the way on and i measure about 23 mm

ok so at this point i think im in spec on the plus side though. i realized that there were 2 shims under the deflection screws its a new belt so i removed them. This gained me about a mm and shifting the motor more seem to get another mm so im about 21-21.5. Seems it shouldn't be so difficult to adjust to right on spec. So im thinking maybe its a stack up of tolerances it is production made after. So im going to take the secondary to work tomorrow and remove 2 mm from the end of the sleeve that goes against the bearing. Unless someone says absolutely not to...thoughts??

Back