SRX tank to fuel pump line size

destey

SRX bogging again

Got a 1999 SRX700; After my bottom end filled with gas, I want to put a fuel shutoff on the tank line. Would 5/16" or 8mm shut off valve work? Also want to put one on my 88 and 89 phazers, is that the same size? Thanks!

edit changed thread title, bogging again, see post below on 2/25/2020

Last edited:

Got a 1999 SRX700; After my bottom end filled with gas, I want to put a fuel shutoff on the tank line. Would 5/16" or 8mm shut off valve work? Also want to put one on my 88 and 89 phazers, is that the same size? Thanks!

Did it fill up from trailering?

Spoke too soon, next time I took it out, it is doing it again. Idle sounds a little funny, almost too smooth. Has some power after warming up for 5-10 minutes, but as I drive it more and more, less and less power. Got about 1/2 mile out in a field and the thing wouldn't move under its own power. Bogging bad. Had to tow it back the the garage. Not really sure what it could be at this point. Sort of thnking it could be the floats in the carbs not set right (has all brand new orings and needle valves). But I set it according to the service manual where the carbs are held at a certain angle. The way it drives and idles, seems like if the floats were at fault, it would quit running sooner. What it does now is idle fine for warmup (5-10 minutes) then ok for the first bit then gets worse and worse. If it was pumping in extra fuel, seem like it would die after 30 seconds of idling. I wonder if its the stator again.

Spoke too soon, next time I took it out, it is doing it again. Idle sounds a little funny, almost too smooth. Has some power after warming up for 5-10 minutes, but as I drive it more and more, less and less power. Got about 1/2 mile out in a field and the thing wouldn't move under its own power. Bogging bad. Had to tow it back the the garage. Not really sure what it could be at this point. Sort of thnking it could be the floats in the carbs not set right (has all brand new orings and needle valves). But I set it according to the service manual where the carbs are held at a certain angle. The way it drives and idles, seems like if the floats were at fault, it would quit running sooner. What it does now is idle fine for warmup (5-10 minutes) then ok for the first bit then gets worse and worse. If it was pumping in extra fuel, seem like it would die after 30 seconds of idling. I wonder if its the stator again.

Could be!! Did you flip choke when it bogs?

Could be!! Did you flip choke when it bogs?

I did. It either didn't do anything or made it run slightly worse. I had a hard time telling. Definitely didn't help. It started doing the bogging back in 2016, and so I decided to rebuild the motor. Split the case halves put in a low mile bottom end, new pistons, seals. Put it back together and its still doing it. Put a used 3 coil rail from another sled, didn't help. Thinking it could be the CDI computer, stator, or the float bowls (or some other carb problem I keep missing upon cleaning, which I've done 4 times since 2016). Not much else that I haven't ruled out. Any ideas on what to check? I had a stator go bad in this sled before, but it didn't act like this. https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/76280-bog-rub-through

I'm seeing $60 for the 2000-2002 stator and $250-300 for the '99 stator off ebay. Crazy. They even want $100 for used stators. Getting about time to retire this machine. edit then again if I can get this stator for under $100 maybe I'll keep her going... wonder if it is legit? https://www.feiwodishop.com/yamaha-srx600srx700-carb-stator-coilreplaces-8df855100000-p-863243.html after searching this site for stator issues, sounds like it could also be rub through again. Not sure if I should just order this stator because its a good deal or wait until I pull the motor and rule out rub through. I remember when I had the motor out thinking I should check the wiring, but I didn't... doh.

Last edited:
I'm seeing $60 for the 2000-2002 stator and $250-300 for the '99 stator off ebay. Crazy. They even want $100 for used stators. Getting about time to retire this machine. edit then again if I can get this stator for under $100 maybe I'll keep her going... wonder if it is legit? https://www.feiwodishop.com/yamaha-srx600srx700-carb-stator-coilreplaces-8df855100000-p-863243.html after searching this site for stator issues, sounds like it could also be rub through again. Not sure if I should just order this stator because its a good deal or wait until I pull the motor and rule out rub through. I remember when I had the motor out thinking I should check the wiring, but I didn't... doh.

I would do a once over on the harness but its sure could sure be the stator or warn out clutching can make it bog too.

I would do a once over on the harness but its sure could sure be the stator or warn out clutching can make it bog too.

Good ideas. I've got 3 spark plug caps coming tomorrow, just to eliminate the cheap stuff. If its not that I guess I'll order the stator and plan on going through the harness too. Seems like its more motor than clutching. Bog at the end is so bad it won't even move forward. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it

Good ideas. I've got 3 spark plug caps coming tomorrow, just to eliminate the cheap stuff. If its not that I guess I'll order the stator and plan on going through the harness too. Seems like its more motor than clutching. Bog at the end is so bad it won't even move forward. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it

Your welcome. Keep me posted.

Got the plug caps in but haven't put them in. Just now I went and ordered the stator from that German website. The thing is the sled gets about a 1/4 mile then dies (running worse and worse) and hard to get on the trailer, so I want to replace a few things before I go and give it a test drive. Its a light sled for a 700 but still heavy compared to my 80s phazers that I can pick the front right up. I also have a CDI computer from years ago when I was diagnosing. I might throw that in there too. But not before I put on the stator, I read somewhere (I think a youtube comment) where their computer was killed by a bad stator.

Back