2000 vmax gauge problems

Wexcw

Hey guys.. I'm hoping I'm understanding and posting this in the right place lol if not I'm a rookie and I'm sorry!

I recently bought a new to me 2000 vmax 700.. everything on the machine works and it's in nice shape. However my tach and gas gauge aren't working. From reading on here I found the common fixes for the chaffed wiring and so on..i have been through the harness and checked all connectors and also tested all continuity. Everything in the wiring checks out good. I'm curious is someone can tell me if there's a proper way to test the gauge pod itself? An ohm reading or something? Any input would be great guys. Thanks!

Hey guys.. I'm hoping I'm understanding and posting this in the right place lol if not I'm a rookie and I'm sorry!

I recently bought a new to me 2000 vmax 700.. everything on the machine works and it's in nice shape. However my tach and gas gauge aren't working. From reading on here I found the common fixes for the chaffed wiring and so on..i have been through the harness and checked all connectors and also tested all continuity. Everything in the wiring checks out good. I'm curious is someone can tell me if there's a proper way to test the gauge pod itself? An ohm reading or something? Any input would be great guys. Thanks!

Move to the correct forums.

If your machine has electric start, and the battery dies or is removed, your tachometer will no longer work.

Oh man I feel dumb..i bet that's it..it come with a dead battery in it and I haven't gotten to buying one for it yet..ill swap one into it tomorrow and see what happens when I get it back together. It's in my shop now I was going over it and checking it all over.. silencer was already bored out but the reed notches weren't done so I'm gonna do those while it's in there.

If I recall, my fuel gauge also stopped working when I pulled my battery. More then likely this is your problem with your tack and fuel gauges.

I will try it tomorrow and see what happens. I see you have a home made transfer rod on your mod list.. what is the advantage to that mod?

Ok cool..1 more question while I'm at it. The ring gear on the primary clutch for electric start doesn't seem to be tight, it wiggles around and makes a very annoying noise at idle..i don't imagine it's supposed to be that way, I was going to tighten it but it has some sort of Allan head screws hoping it on and I can't find somewhere that there's room to get at them..is there an easy way to do this without pulling the primary?

That ring gear must be tightened for sure. Not sure if it can be done without removing the primary. I'm at work and can't go check out my sled at the moment.

i pulled the primary to fix my dads 700 venture. i am on revision 2 of trying to get it to stay tight. version 2 is staying tight so far.

best thing to do is to get new bolts for it and use red or green locktight on it.

Yeah that's what I figured from looking at it..good note I'll het a new bolt this week when I go to get a puller.

Update on the gauges, my dumb self put a battery in the sled and all was well haha..

Today I pulled the slide out from under it to check it over and found a couple things there, limit straps are both broken, I need new slides and 2 new idler wheels..so nothing too big and bad there. I will pick up those parts this week as well then get things back together on the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

With a battery connected all works as it should.. I'm glad for that but I'm also glad that the "problem" lead me to fix a couple other small issues I found on the way..

Can anyone tell me what the part number for the proper primary clutch puller is for this machine? I need to get one but I'm unsure of what the part number for it is I can seem to find any solid info

With a battery connected all works as it should.. I'm glad for that but I'm also glad that the "problem" lead me to fix a couple other small issues I found on the way..

Can anyone tell me what the part number for the proper primary clutch puller is for this machine? I need to get one but I'm unsure of what the part number for it is I can seem to find any solid info

Got my puller from https://www.royaldistributing.com/

Last edited:

Back