Fuel Guarge Issues

4wealn

Hello everyone, I am currently having an issue with my fuel gauge or sending unit. Everything worked fine before I tried to change my fuel filter. There is not much gas in the tank currently and the gauge reads almost half full. If I lift the float all the way up, it does go to full, if I let it go back down then it sits at just below half tank. I tried to push the float down to see if it would drop to empty but it will not. I did not hit it as I was changing the fuel filter and when I look in the tank, there is nothing obstructing it. Any ideas on what could be wrong before I pull apart the air box to check the ohm readings on it. I had never had an issue with it previously. It all looks good in the tank when I shine a light in there.
Thank you in advance.

When I am out at my mother-in-laws where the sled is I will check. I am thinking the rod might be bent and not allowing it to go down far enough to show empty.

When I replaced the fuel line and in tank filter on my Venture, I used a steel coat hanger and created a S-Bend at the bottom of the wire. Using the S-Bend shape, I was able to press the gauge's float to the bottom of the tank. And, lift the float to the top of the tank. With its ignition key ON (with its engine off), I could see the dash's gas gauge needle move very slowly. Took a minute or so for the gas gauge needle to eventually move. With this in mind, I wonder if you need to wait a little longer time - for your gas gauge needle to slowly move as well as well? Hope this helps...

Back