Anyone still running 500-600 twins?

my 96 600 twin still rips well once i fix the cluych it will but went great last year and says at least ten k on the dial.

Install a hauck headgasket, do the reedstopper notch with with reed stoppers from a viper and put in viper reeds and cages while you are at it. I have this except the headgasket on my 500, helped a bit.

I'm always up for more power where do I find more info on these fixes?
The Hauck head gasket is the same as the 94/95s Vmax head gasket. Your current gasket measures 1.4 mm. The 94/95s measures .6 mm. 89 octane should be used w/ that head gasket.
As far as a reed notch on the 94-96 Vmax platform, it probably should not be done. The 94-96 Vmaxs have 4 pedal reeds. The reed stoppers that we have are different than the 97 & up stoppers. These stoppers are different because the 97+ reeds are only 3 pedal. There simply is not enough material on the 94-96s to grind out a notch.

Last edited:
The Hauck head gasket is the same as a 95 Vmax head gasket. Your current gasket measures 1.4 mm. The 95 measures .6 mm. 89 octane should be used w/ that head gasket.
As far as a reed notch on the 94-96 Vmax platform, it probably should not be done. Our 96 Vmaxs have 4 pedal reeds. The reed stoppers that we have are different than the 97 & up stoppers. These stoppers are different because the 97+ reeds are only 3 pedal. There simply is not enough material on the 94-96s to grind out a notch.

WOW. That's a serious difference in head gasket thicknesses!!! Middle layer removed from my redhead headgaskets is only 0.25 mm thinner!

Last edited:
I'm still running my 96 xt 600!
Middle layer head gasket removed, Boyesen reeds, one of the clutch setups from the tech pages from here, Slydog plastic skis with Bergstrom triple point carbide and I fitted a rear skid from a 2002 viper underneath.
Sled has almost 8k miles on it but I did have to do the top end a few years ago because she burned down (pretty sure because I had the needles set too lean).
I'm about to change out the needle tubes/ emulsion tubes on it because it seems to kind of load up a bit and it's been said that they can wear out over time from the needles rubbing.

I used to have a 99 vmax 500. It had a crappy comet primary clutch when i bought it. Put a yamaha clutch on it, and man, that thing really flew. I loved that sled up until my daughter put it in the woods at 60. It was very hard on gas tho. It always used alot more fuel than my 700

I can honestly say my VT 500 with the tempaflow, intake mods, dupont slides and Heelclicker clutching flies! Very happy with it. I'm looking to get 90 mph on the speedo on this thing again. I have also noted that a 2015 ZR 5000 has 85 HP stock, while mine has 87 HP stock (not bad for a 23 year old sled), before the mods! Also, I can always go for a thinner headgasket too.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, I got 93mph on gps with that old 500. I know that if my son would get out on me, my 700 wouldn't catch it in the half mile field behind my house.

Just picked up a 94 VMax 600 DX twin parts sled that was sitting for 10 years. It wasn't running but I didn't care because I was only interested in the clutches and carbs and struts for a Phazer upgrade. Unfortunately, the VMax only needed a kill switch, fresh gas and the carbs cleaned and it fired right up and runs great with no coolant leaks. 93mph on a 500....I guess the Phazer gonna have to wait while I have some fun on the VMax...lol

Back