Anyone still running 500-600 twins?

sounds like my 01 sx500r was. i ran out of gear as when i clutched it i only gained .5 mph and it hit the wall speed wise at 80 mph. geared it up to the vmax 500 specs and it then would do 93 mph consistantly.

I dont get tis, the sxr 500 and vmax 500 gearings seem to be the same

I don't think my sx 600 will ever hit 93 mph on the speedo like things are now. If it's not bad compression or a clutch issue, what is it? The thing runs fine but has no top end. Bad tps? Bad coil? bad stator?
What else?

Last edited:
Are your sheaves hot to the touch after you did your wot run?

I'm guessing if you had any kind of bad electrical components, like stator, coil, plug caps etc...... It would not run as good as you are discribing. I would think more like low compression numbers.

Try a 8dn belt for fun if that's not what your running presently . My brother's tired phazer ( 100 psi in both jugs) gained 4 mph on gps just by switching from a fresh factory phazer belt to my old 8dn spare belt with 4000 kms on it. Surprised the Hell out of both of us!!!!

Last edited:
Rpms are about 8000. Marked the primary with a marker, seems to go as far as it's supposed to. (But that could be due to the overrev i had at the beginning of every run and then some track spinning on the trails). Compression is 110 psi on both cylinders. As a side note the venture 500 has 120 on pto and 115 on mag.
Going back to stock weights that look like new, and I'm going to try on a fresh primary spring with pretty much the same rates. The old spring makes the sled engage at like 3500 rpm. I will have to try the choke, but what would that tell me?

Last edited:
It's to verify if your running lean....but it won’t work cause at 8000 rpms your fuel pump can't supply any more additional fuel to feed the choke circuit

Last edited:
I have seen it on my old snowblower. Showed 110 psi compress but after installing my leak down tester the engine had 70% leakage threw a burn exhaust valve.

I check my snowmobile every year with my leak down tester. I only have 1 -2% leakage passing my rings.

Last edited:
that would tell you if it is having a fueling issue as it adds more fuel when you pull the choke on.

Ordered the teflon coated piston kit. Also bought sn SRX rear heat exchanger.

I don't know that yet. But I think it's due for a set of new pistons anyway. I'll have to dig deeper into it once I get all the snow removed from the roof of the house. But I know that this engine gets heat soaked due to a little too small cooling system. Going to put a setup in a clutch that has been serviced and then try again and check the center to center and offset.

Last edited:
Well, finally done with the roof!
Now, after checking this and finding to be ok:
Jetting: stock
Gearing: stock
Track: stock
Clutching: worn

I was able to find this:
Center to center seems to be 2-3 mm off
Offset seems to be about 2 mm off. The forward facing part of the secondary is 2 mm from the clutch tool tab when the rearward facing tab is on.
Could this have a huge affect on performance? I know I know, I didn't try it out with a fresh clutch first. I'll have to tacle this first.

Center to center.jpg

Back