Anyone still running 500-600 twins?

I usually skim the weight a tiny bit. If you worried about it, use a gram scale, and make sure they are all the same when finished.

Allright, I figured how to drill the rivets out easily. I also realized that a hauck "4,5 g rivet set" can be an allen bolt and a nut. A short m6 sized bolt. So I'm not going to pound in new rivets. I also have a bag of tuning bolts and washers from a Hauck X kit, these I'm going to use on the SX, to add up to 2,6 grams (from 3,6 stock to 6,2) to the tip, I'll just have to watch the spider pocket clearance. Should be easy.

This sled makes ugly electric noises at 5-6k rpm. It's like if you turn on a powerful electrical motor but it won't turn around, that kind of buzz.

I told about the humming sound to my mechanic, and he said that the motor needs to be checked, e.g if the pistons are good. Not sure how bad pistons can make a humming sound sometimes? Sounds electrical to me.

Back from the mechanic, doesn't make these sounds anymore, pulls way harder, like it had a bigbore in it. I have to reclutch it at least now, maybe go back on the gearing as well.

Rings had little tension on them, carb was out of synch and still full of dirt. Fuel mixture screws were out of adjustment, 4 locked idler wheels. Also primary was fully rebuilt.

Lol
Doubt he is gonna get the reference to a 80's TV show, he is from Norway.
But I did, and enjoyed... :D

If It was a reference in Mcgyver or Seinfeld or the early seasons of X-files I would know. But no, I don't know that reference. Does less tension on rings sound suspicious? They were stock pistons and stock rings. Probably updated pistons from 1998.

So far the SX 600 has: Full length red belly pan protector, dupont slides, Hauck hi comp headgasket, geared to 21/39. Stock in primary, I have to do something about that.

I can't imagine letting anyone else work on my machines.
No other mechanics touch any of my toys. I always, build, strip, modify, fabricate, tune, weld, overhaul everything myself.

Good you have a great mechanic on your side. I simply can't stand being dependent on anyone else.

Last edited:
He made a real difference. I tried cleaning the carbs myself, but.. well you know the rest. At least now it runs as it should.

You know, where I'm from....we tease Norwegians a little.. Lol
We have mainly Germans and Norwegians in this part of the country.
But, if someone says something foolish, or does something dumb, they might be asked if they are Norwegian ! Lol
No offense! but every time I see your name, it brings up the thought Lol

Matter of fact, we have so many that this is in my town every year..
https://www.hostfest.com/

Last edited:

Back