SRX 700 Spark Plugs

stormin norman

My 2001 SRX 700 calls for NGK - BR9ECS spark plugs. Is there a reason for these special plugs or can a guy run BR9ES plus like all my other Yamaha's? The two plugs look the sake but there must be some difference to them. Thanks.

The "CS" in the plug code stands for low angle ground electrode. From what I understand it reduces the mass at the end of the plug and therefore reduces the chance of detonation. You could get away with standard br9es plugs as long as your not doing long wide open pulls but honestly i'd just run what it calls for, especially with today's fuels.... You need all the help you can get. Not like these sleds are hard on plugs anyways.

I just got an Srx. cleaned the carbs fired up and ran great. Started it the next day ran for 30 seconds or so and the plugs fouled. It had br9es plugs. Bought 3 new br9ecs fired up ran great. Sat for a day or so. We got snow, fired it up ran great. Fired it tonight on 3 pulls. Went up to 4k rpms, I choked it quick revs came down then fouled out again. What am I missing here? I came from the Polaris side,never once fouled a plug. Sled has an 835 BB.

The "C" plugs have a more concave base at the end of the threads.
03Prox700, what does jetting look like? Where is the oiler set at? Checking cap resistance is also a good idea...or just replace them since they don't cost too much.

The "C" plugs have a more concave base at the end of the threads.
03Prox700, what does jetting look like? Where is the oiler set at? Checking cap resistance is also a good idea...or just replace them since they don't cost too much.

Not sure on the oiler, main jets are 165,165.7,170 I think. Don't remember what the pilots are. Have no clue on the fuel screws either. New plugs tonight, and plug boots. Now it won't fire at all. Ran good Monday night. Fired up nice,idled nice. Idk. Maybe I'm starting it wrong. I didn't realize Yamahas were so finiky. I'm ready to sell it and I've only had it 2 weeks.

Funny (odd, not haha) was just talking to my nephew about the Polaris's we had that always fouled plugs and how the SRXs don't. I run NGK #3570 BR9ECS .028 gap (preset). I also don't touch the throttle for a couple minutes after firing up. Full choke start, choke off, toggle between half and no choke a few times until it's smooth with no choke then let her set a minute.

How do I check the ohm resistance? Positive lead in the plug boot and negative lead on some metal? That's what I did. All 3 were way over 5,000 ohms before and after the changing out the boots. I think it's flooded now. Is there drains on the crank case?

How do I check the ohm resistance? Positive lead in the plug boot and negative lead on some metal? That's what I did. All 3 were way over 5,000 ohms before and after the changing out the boots. I think it's flooded now. Is there drains on the crank case?

The plug caps thread onto the spark plug leads. un thread them, one lead in the plug end & the other in the lead end.

As for un-flooding, plugs out, kill switch off, tape throttle wide open and pull pull pull.

The plug caps thread onto the spark plug leads. un thread them, one lead in the plug end & the other in the lead end.

As for un-flooding, plugs out, kill switch off, tape throttle wide open and pull pull pull.

Ok. I'll check them again this way. Gonna get after it in the a.m. thanks

My 2001 SRX 700 calls for NGK - BR9ECS spark plugs. Is there a reason for these special plugs or can a guy run BR9ES plus like all my other Yamaha's? The two plugs look the sake but there must be some difference to them. Thanks.

I would suggest using the ECS.

FWIW - I have the original 18 year old plugs in my '01 SRX with approx. 4500 miles on them. That includes yearly springtime fogging and the last few years, pulling teenagers around on kiddy sleds.

I flip the choke off after it starts and blip it to half a few times while it's warming up (more often when it's really cold) but after a minute it should idle on its own.

I've played the "try different plugs" game with my Polaris' before switching to Yamaha and surprisingly, they ran best on the OEM Chumpions.

Back