98 xtc vmax600 compression

around 120, but will vary greatly depending on the tester you use.
Its not the total number to concern yourself with, but the difference between the two cylinders is more important.
How many miles on the sled ?

about 8 thousand miles on it.. i have new rings and a base gasket just waiting to get the compression tested.. she burns alot of oil so im assuming its the rings cuz the pump isnt turned up

You should do rings for sure, maybe pistons.
You can measure the piston towards the bottom to check for wear.
Yamaha will give you a spec that the measurement needs to fall in between.
If piston is too worn, you will get pistons slap, which will break off pistons skirts.
Been there, done that. lol

Your rings have nothing to do with how much oil you burn. The oil pump is controlled by cable from throttle and amount is determined by adjustment. Do a comp test. With 8000 I would do just for preventative measures. I did a viper with 9000 and everything was still to spec. New rings and ready to go.

about 8 thousand miles on it.. i have new rings and a base gasket just waiting to get the compression tested.. she burns alot of oil so im assuming its the rings cuz the pump isnt turned up

As already mentioned, you are confusing a 2 stroke engine with a 4 stroke. Rings have nothing to do with oil consumption.

Back