2000 Srx with Bender 835

03prox700

New to Yamahas. Bought a 2000 Srx with Ohlins and a Bender 835. 1750 miles,400 on the big bore. Been looking on here for 2 weeks now trying to learn about these sleds. Last sled was. '03 xcr 800. Anyways, I was wondering if the br9ecs plugs were still correct for this application. And was also looking for a Bender setup sheet just for my reference to jetting and clutch on case I need to make changes. Thanks

Welcome to the site. You should have some fun with this sled. I think the br9ecs would still apply. Do a search and you should find plenty of discussion on the ECS.

Can I get some jetting specs to go by as a baseline. I don't know 100% where I'm at with this machine. Having plug fouling issues,and now it won't start at all. Has new plugs and plug boots. I cleaned the carbs 2 weeks ago when I got the sled. Ran fine Monday, fouled new plugs on Wednesday. New plugs and boots Thursday (last nite). Now it won't start. No pop,nothing. Maybe it's flooded?crank case drains anywhere on these Srx's?. Pleasee help.

Sorry no drains. Pulling a three cylinder thats drowned in gas sucks. Get fresh plugs BR9ES cause there cheap and make the sled run again. The ECS plug offers more protection when you are running full throttle but isnt needed when the sled doesnt run. Once solved go back to BR9ECS.

Leave two plugs out so you can pull and spin the motor easier. Get the motor to fire on just one single cylinder. Then add a second plug and get that to fire. finally all three.

Do you have new gas? Dont guess.
Is the spark Blue? equals strong spark.
---mac---

What reeds do you have? Inlet needles and seats in the carbs all good?

Everything in the carbs appeared to be in fine shape. Looks to have carbon petals. But they are not v-force. I'm gonna dig into more this weekend. Clean carbs again, clean powervalves, etc. Hopefully something happens good

Also check float bowl level. Just maybe the previous owner didnt have the jetting or float level adjusted correctly. With any luck its only fuel delivery trouble that can be solved. Take note of the size of the pilots. You have'nt mentioned the needle number needle position or nozzle size. I dont run a 835 but those mains sound extra large for SRX. Vipers run the high jetting like that because of the CDI. You should confirm the CDI is correct for SRX.

I wouldnt be concerned so much on the oiler. I run full pull max oil per Jeff Simons @ CPR.
Power valves are not gunna help either. They have nothing to do with fuel. Not saying you should'nt service regularly.
Also check the choke setting. Make sure choke doesnt continue to flow extra fuel.

You said. "Not sure on the oiler, main jets are 165,165.7,170 I think. Don't remember what the pilots are. Have no clue on the fuel screws either. New plugs tonight, and plug boots. Now it won't fire at all. Ran good Monday night. Fired up nice,idled nice. Idk. Maybe I'm starting it wrong. I didn't realize Yamahas were so finiky. I'm ready to sell it and I've only had it 2 weeks."

A 835 Bender SRX is not a beginners sled, lol.
A guy should have some basic Yamaha knowledge if buying something like that.
There is a simple solution to each problem. If it started before, and now it wont, look to see what you have done to it in the time that it ran, and now the time that it doesn't run.
If you have done nothing at all, my guess would be flooding from the o-rings on the needle and seat. They will shrink up over many years and let excessive fuel by, flooding the motor.
Replacing them is one of the first things I do when buying a used sled.
If spark plug boots were changed, make sure you still have spark to each plug.

I'm definitely not a beginner to sleds or horsepower or general tuning. I'm just a rookie in the Yamaha sled department. I've done nothing to this sled other than change the plugs and the boots. I still have spark. I am thinking it's flooded,rather it be my fault on starting it incorrectly or the needle and seats are junk

Is there stock?bored carbs on this engine. A lot of guys ran Mach Z 38s on these things with the BB pipes they could crank out some big H.P. Like people have posted go through your carbs carefully take care of all the O rings, I would do fuel lines also since this sled obviously sat more than it was used. Its the little things that can bite you.

I'm definitely not a beginner to sleds or horsepower or general tuning. I'm just a rookie in the Yamaha sled department. I've done nothing to this sled other than change the plugs and the boots. I still have spark. I am thinking it's flooded,rather it be my fault on starting it incorrectly or the needle and seats are junk

Usually Yamaha triples with a good tune will start and run damn near as good as fuel injection, and never foul plugs!!! But you ve picked up a sort of extreme Frankenstein witch doesn't reflect what most of us are used to. Hopefully it's something simple and you can get to play around with it sooner then later

Last edited:
Carbs are stock. Pilot jets are 55,mains are 167.5,167.5,170. Fuel screw were 1 1/4 turns out. When I took the carbs off today there was very little fuel in the bowls. Main fuel line has good flow. Jboulled the tank and flushed it out. Carbs are now at my local shop. Owner knows Yamahas well. Known him for 20 years. I really think the needly and seat o rings are bad or I flooded it due to improper starting. I touched the throttle both times it flooded. I'll report back asap. Thanks.

If it’s that touchy, maybe pilots are too big?
Sounds like it’s getting a lotta fuel at start up.
I would start with needles and seats/o rings.
Then, if it’s still to much fuel, may consider smaller pilots.

I ve been reading here for many years. The only guy i can remember with an 835 was "bufalobob". If you do a search you will find alot of his old posts. Send him a message and maybe he is still available with jetting recommendation.

I ve been reading here for many years. The only guy i can remember with an 835 was "bufalobob". If you do a search you will find alot of his old posts. Send him a message and maybe he is still available with jetting recommendation.

Will do. Thanks.

Using stock 33mm carbs your jets ""should" be good to get you going. There is something else going on here. Needle and seat (plus o-ring on screen), enrichment needles (return to closed position properly) and reeds (weak). I run 38mm on mine but have a set of 33mm carbs as well and your jetting specs are close as long as the jets themselves haven't been tampered with. Keep us posted.

If you still had the carbs on it I would suggest removing the plugs and putting a bit of fuel down each spark plug hole, pulling the sled over before reinserting the plugs[to avoid hydraulic lock] reinstall the plugs and try to start it. I bet it would have fired. We have a ported, piped, 700 SX that is an absolute pain to start after it has sat for a while and putting fuel in cylinders always works.
When you clean the carbs on Yamaha triples you always should remove the needle and seats and check the top hat shaped screen filters hidden under the seats. I personally remove these as they can plug up and lean out the cylinders.
Good luck

I'm thinking your pilot is oversized. Stock I think they came with a 42.5. 55 seems extreme or good for riding in cold temperatures. Go down to a 50 at least and try, providing you have jets. Could always close the fuel screw a bit too.

I would also suggest trying what sideshowbob recommended.

Back