98 SRX MOUNTAIN vs 800 POLY.

got-wood

My buddy and I out riding, picked up a friend of his at his place with a new 800 polaris something. It was a 153 with 2" paddles, other than that, I really couldn't say. Don't pay too much attention to those bargain basement garage mechanics companions. We decided on a cross country run to a local watering hole for a warm up and a beer, bout 15 plus miles. We launched off a grader mound into a field side by side, into about two feet of snow and he just walked away on my 137 X 1 1/2". We stopped and played a few times on the way in some drifts and he wouldn't stop making fun of my YAMAHA, "Can't keep up hey?" About half way to our destination we crossed a highway and dropped down onto a literal snowmobile highway, bout as wide as a dirt road, hard packed sled tracks, PERFECT. Things way different when its not a traction contest. I never looked back, his light was no longer shining on the trail beside me.

Got to the pub and he's really quiet for a while, then says, "Christ that YAMAHA is fast!" Guess he was trying to keep up. SRX is stock other than a bender can. Oh, and about ten thousand miles on the clock at that time. I just love this sled!

Attachments

• SRX mine.jpg
    SRX mine.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 17

Nice! couple years back we were at some snow drags and forgot i had entered my 98 srx with the 155 track and cat skid. Pulled it out of the trailer on to the starting line against some highly modified pro 800 poo. Guy couldnt believe he got beat with all his mods in play so I did it again. From there he had to watch the video replays of him getting his but kicked by some old yamaha, twice. Pay window was good that day

My buddy and I out riding, picked up a friend of his at his place with a new 800 polaris something. It was a 153 with 2" paddles, other than that, I really couldn't say. Don't pay too much attention to those bargain basement garage mechanics companions. We decided on a cross country run to a local watering hole for a warm up and a beer, bout 15 plus miles. We launched off a grader mound into a field side by side, into about two feet of snow and he just walked away on my 137 X 1 1/2". We stopped and played a few times on the way in some drifts and he wouldn't stop making fun of my YAMAHA, "Can't keep up hey?" About half way to our destination we crossed a highway and dropped down onto a literal snowmobile highway, bout as wide as a dirt road, hard packed sled tracks, PERFECT. Things way different when its not a traction contest. I never looked back, his light was no longer shining on the trail beside me.

Got to the pub and he's really quiet for a while, then says, "Christ that YAMAHA is fast!" Guess he was trying to keep up. SRX is stock other than a bender can. Oh, and about ten thousand miles on the clock at that time. I just love this sled!

Strange,these new polaris are rider forward,why are they so far behind the SRX:yam:

I had the opportunity to drag race two much more modern lighter and powerful selds last year. A 2015 ski-door renegade 600 eteck with a ripsaw track and a 201? 800 Artic cat CrossFire with 144 track and 2" paddles. Both these sleds had between 4 to 5000 kms.

Amazingly the 600 renegade and me were very close. I took him off the line, but he would very slowly catch up on the top end. Basically a very close even race...

The Artic cat 800 CrossFire drag race was in 14" of fresh snow. He'd just blow my doors off, off the line. But he'd only get about 60+ feet ahead and after that he simply couldn't lose me. We redid the same race 3 times, same results. Though I didn't win ( obviously I never expected to) , I could't believe a 160hp Cat couldn't lose my old 12 000 miles Venture 700!!!

Attachments

• received_502333523961598.jpg
    received_502333523961598.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you want to dragrace, drop in 8bu 00 weights in that thing and surprise many.

Back