99 VMAX 500 - What to change over to LED headlights

I only have these two crummy photos that brother snap lastnight. Can't believe this amazing plug and play bulb upgrade was ony 25$

Attachments

• sketch-1578155494539.jpg
    sketch-1578155494539.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
  • sketch-1578155704985.jpg
    sketch-1578155704985.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Didn't you have to use the brown wire by the buzzer? I mean you had to do some work right? Not just plug in?

Does your new DC power LED bulb flicker when your sled is at idle?

If yes, then your factory headlight is being fed via AC current flow. AC power to DC bulbs create weird problems in the long run. And, can even over stress the stator system.

If no flicker at idle, then all is good - for your specific year of Yamaha.

For my 1999 Venture, I had to use the thin brown wire - that was going to factory reverse buzzer (which uses regulated "clean" DC power).

Note: Originally, I installed my new DC LED bulb in my sled and left factory wiring `as is` (which is AC power based). During a long haul nightly ride and 1.75+ hours into the ride, its high beam suddenly stopped working. Was able to drive slow speed home using its low beam - hoping its low beam (using AC power) didn't stop working as well. Ouch! A week later, I switched (converted) to thin brown "clean" DC power wire and its been working great since.... If wondering, its high beam bulb side worked great when tested with 2 x 9v batteries on the test bench. Thus, DC LED bulb was over stressing my sleds AC power system. Glad I switched to clean DC power....

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I would also use the brown wire, it’s so easy to do, and it will eliminate any future problems IMO..

Ok
It does flicker on idle. I'll connect the brown wire as the new power source for the headlight today ....

Thank you gentle men.

Finally switched the wiring around so the brown wire feeds the headlight circuit. I pre tested it and got 13.5v at idle. Yes it it noticibly more consistent and stable light at idle. I'm so impressed with this cheap upgrade! I ordered another one of these fancy bulbs for a back up.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Here's the difference between stock and the fancy LED light.

Attachments

• sketch-1579366695778.jpg
    sketch-1579366695778.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
What do you do with the wire that is used stock for the headlamp? Isolate it?

I have another question....

I just put this in my Attak, my HID kit almost light my sled on fire, and my XTC, how are they holding up? Any problems?

Back