99 VMAX 500 - What to change over to LED headlights

rkkoeb

So we just installed LED bulbs in our car and what a difference. This then made me start thinking about my wife's sled. She has a 99 Vmax 500 deluxe and I would like to put LED headlights in. What is a good brand and what ones work for this sled?

Any H4 LED headlight bulb should work, I would make sure its under 40 watts.
The key for this is to get DC voltage to the headlight.
I can help you with this, its just taking an un-used wire from the right foot well area, and running it to under the handlebar pad area.
Let me know if you decide to go that route.

OK, there is a light brown wire tucked away over by the recoil side footwell. It is part of a 2 wire plug.
Tap into that, and run a wire from it to the blue wire under your handlebar pad that goes to your Hi/Low switch.
You will no longer use the power from the blue wire, so cap that.

In your case, you only have a 75 Watt charging system.
Not sure, but think HID takes a lot more juice to run, but I am not familiar with them.\
LED is simple to use.

Agree. LED DC Bulb and 12 Vot DC wire from Reverse Buzzer brown wire is easy to do.

Recommend using LED 30W Motorcycle bulb (not vehicle LED bulb) from Amazon. Motorcycle bulbs have fans inside the light assembly. Thus, helping to melt snow off its front light assembly lense as well. Note: Search User reviews on Amazon of this specific 2 sided bulb. Works great for me.

For more details, surf below pictures.

Attachments

• LED Bulb (DZG - 30W - double sided).JPG
    LED Bulb (DZG - 30W - double sided).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DZG LED bulb (more details).JPG
    DZG LED bulb (more details).JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Direct Wire method.jpg
    Direct Wire method.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 18
So why do I need to change the power source as listed below?

OK, there is a light brown wire tucked away over by the recoil side footwell. It is part of a 2 wire plug.
Tap into that, and run a wire from it to the blue wire under your handlebar pad that goes to your Hi/Low switch.
You will no longer use the power from the blue wire, so cap that

So why do I need to change the power source?

Most older age Yamahas (and other brands of sleds) have factory 12 volt AC power to the headlight. Factory Halogen bulbs are AC and DC friendly.

When installing a 12 Volt LED "DC" bulb, its always best to connect to "clean" 12 volts DC power. Leaving a DC LED bulb connected to AC power source can / does weird things to the sled's AC electrical system. Especially in the long run. Thus, always best to connect DC LED bulbs to DC power. Or, install a LED bulb that is "AC" friendly.

Because LED bulbs run on DC voltage. Your headlight is currently using AC.
If you try to use AC it could blow the bulb, flicker, ect...

Just an idea about HIDs w/ the 75w system. Now don't flame me because I am certainly not ANY kind of an electrical guy.
Would an car audio capacitor(say a 1.5 farad) work? It would keep a 12v charge available upon startups.
And again, I use a hammer and chisel.

Agree. LED DC Bulb and 12 Vot DC wire from Reverse Buzzer brown wire is easy to do.

Recommend using LED 30W Motorcycle bulb (not vehicle LED bulb) from Amazon. Motorcycle bulbs have fans inside the light assembly. Thus, helping to melt snow off its front light assembly lense as well. Note: Search User reviews on Amazon of this specific 2 sided bulb. Works great for me.

For more details, surf below pictures.

Thank you sooo much for all this info!!!! I just ordered this same bulb!!!! Thanks again

What will happen to the light when you engage the reverse and therefore the reverse buzzer?

What will happen to the light when you engage the reverse and therefore the reverse buzzer?

If I understand this correctly you will no longer be using that DC 12v source to feed your buzzer. You would need to tap into that power source BEFORE the reverse switch an buzzer circuit.

For my sled, I disconnected the this brown wire from factory reverse buzzer and routed the wire to the LED DC 30W light bulb. This works for me. And best of all, it eliminates that annoying buzzer sound as well. I never did like that buzzer sound on my sled.

So I finally installed this fancy bulb but didn't have a schematic handy so I drove to my brothers house cause he has a clymor manual. Low and behold the headlight work fine without switching any wires!!!!!!????? High and Low beam... WTF.!!!.. The light looks awesome and is a bright blueish white colour.... Nice cheap upgrade with no more work then changing a bulb...

Attachments

• 41KC54-4yQL._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg
    41KC54-4yQL._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back