Rec fuel or Premium?

Very true. I think these days with fuel costs not many are using premium and it sits in the ground for quite a while.
We have a station down by the river that has non ethanol premium and the boaters use it a lot, so I try to always go there when I can because I know they are turning it over fairly quickly instead of it just sitting and going bad.

Just wondering everyone’s take on this. I have a gas station near me that sells 89 octane recreational fuel and 93 octane premium gas. I’m in Michigan and we have Ethanol in our fuel. Question is which fuel would be better to burn? On average the rec fuel is about 30 cents more per gallon than the premium, so price wise I would prefer the premium. Cost aside though which is best?

Run at least 91 and don't worry about E-10/15. When you go to summerize, use ATF in the fuel. I use type F, it's higher in detergent and I have a bunch of it.

4 years running without paraffin plugging of the idle jet and bowls are spotless. I did not pull them the last two years.

I run only non ethanol in anything that might not be run for a month or more, I also add a half bottle of NOS octane boost. Since I have been doing this, my carbs are always spotless, however I would never consider not pulling them off. Carb cleaning is free insurance, or very cheap if you bring it somewhere.
One thing you may want to consider is which type is purchased from the station most often, as fresh gas is best. I would assume the non-oxy is used faster than 93, but thats around here because everybody uses non-oxy in all their equipment.

Also if I am remembering correctly, my SLP pipes recommend larger jetting for gas with ethanol. I can check the instructions if anyone wants confirmation.

I have the same choice here in TC. I always run the higher octane. No doubt the non ethanol is better for fuel system but the sled needs the octane.

I have the same choice here in TC. I always run the higher octane. No doubt the non ethanol is better for fuel system but the sled needs the octane.

The thing is, nobody buys high octane and as the fuel sits it looses octane. Here everybody runs nonethanol

The thing is, nobody buys high octane and as the fuel sits it looses octane. Here everybody runs nonethanol

It’s nearly impossible to find reliable 91 or better E15, let alone nonE, on the trail in Michigan.
I’m sure low volume sales plays a big part.
I try to fill at home before trailering with 93 and watch for changes in EGTs after a fill up on the trail and adjust my riding accordingly (don’t sprint across the bay on the way back to the cabin after the day’s temp dropped 30 degrees).

Or carry booster which is a PITA.

I have 2 SRX's that I don't ride much, so my mechanic wants me to run AV-Gas 104 through the sleds and get rid of the 93 ethanol gas before they get put away. He said if we do this, the AV-Gas lasts for ever and the carbs will stay clean all summer. Then next year when I'm ready to ride them, he said to use the 93 ethanol gas to ride with, but again, before putting the sleds away for the summer to make sure we run AV-gas through to get all the ethanol gas out.

He runs AV-gas in everything he owns.....no issues at all.

M ;)!

For all my 2-stroke engines (re: boat, weed eater, chain saw, sled, etc.) I always try to buy non-ethanol and 92+ octane. Even if it calls for normal 87 octane grade, I choose higher octane grade. Especially since my 2-stoke tools may sit in storage for a few months. In addition to this, I also add "double dosage amount" of fuel stabilizer for boats. re: STA-BIL 22257- Marine Fuel Stabilizer, 236 ml - Pack of 6 => from Amazon. Never had fuel usage problems using this trick.

Ethanol diluted gas in 2-stroke engines is very bad combo. Even my local gas stations tell me to avoid ethanol mix in 2-stroke engines...

Last edited:

Back