1990 et400lt bottom end seals

mebrtc

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have a question. I just rebuilt the motor on a 1990 et400lt (bored, new pistons, Winderosa gasket/seal kit) because the oil pump quit working. Everything has gone back together perfectly except the bottom end seals. I got the fan side (mag side) seal in no problem but I am at my wit's end with the clutch side. The original seal pressed into the oil pump gear housing (on the back, against the motor), but the seal that came in the kit is molded into a metal plate that looks like it should bolt right on.
Unfortunately when it's all bolted back together the clutch bottoms out on the oil pump gear assembly bolts. Not sure if I'm missing something or not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I looked at the parts diagram for a 1995 Enticer 2 and found the seal that is molded into the metal bracket. I looked at the gasket/seal kit and it is for Enticer 400 models from 1989 to 1995. A lot of the pieces are the same but unfortunately this one is not, and apparently you can't get the stock seal anymore. I'm not sure if there is a way to make it fit properly or not, but the oil pump housing etc. looks to be different...

Last edited:
I got #19 in the 'oil pump drive gear' section, but didn't get #24 in the 'crankshaft-piston' section with the Winderosa kit. As far as I can find they don't make them anymore, so have to go NOS to find one (unless I'm missing something).

If you look at the 92 Enticer II 'crankshaft-piston' section, #23 is what comes in the kit and isn't compatible (again, as far as I can figure). It looks like they changed the oil pump somewhat between 1990 and 1992 model years, even though the engines are the same.

I think I found the right seal on ebay, but will have to see once I get it.

I'm guessing that it was run out of oil, and that's why the motor cooked. The machine only has 4300 km's on it. I changed all the seals and gaskets associated with the oil pump, but I think I'm going to run it disconnected regardless.

It looks an awful lot like the 340 version, but I don't know if the diameters are the same. Maybe it's got some unique lip on it that is a bit different.

Interesting puzzle. I would personally order the 340 seal https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/93102-30184-00/oil-seal-sd-type and see how they compare. Another thing would be to measure the diameter in mm with a good set of Vernier calipers and try and get an aftermarket replacement.

Got a picture? I know a guy, that might help his memory. His initial comment is "I think I removed the seal from the metal plate."

Another thing is, there should be manufacturer numbers on the existing seal, that will help to identify if you can get a replacement from a vendor.

Last edited:
Finally got the seal I ordered (got lost in the mail apparently) and it is the proper one. All of the numbers match the original so I should be good to go (haven't installed yet). I will definitely have to investigate further in case it ever needs to be replaced again (hopefully not!!).

Thanks again for all of your input, I definitely appreciate it!!

Happy Holidays!!

Back