1998 v-max 600 twin kicks back when trying to start

ZOMBIE46

Working on a 1998 v-max 600, had no spark replaced the trigger coil now it has spark but rips the recoil out of my hands! Checked for a twisted crank is not true but well within limits. Thought it might be only one cylinder so I removed one plug at a time and tried stating it. Pulled the recoil handle out of my hands on either cylinder. Since the trigger coil is non adjustable I am fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.:2strokes:

I have had it running, if I can get it to turn over fast enough!

Last edited:

Working on a 1998 v-max 600, had no spark replaced the trigger coil now it has spark but rips the recoil out of my hands! Checked for a twisted crank is not true but well within limits. Thought it might be only one cylinder so I removed one plug at a time and tried stating it. Pulled the recoil handle out of my hands on either cylinder. Since the trigger coil is non adjustable I am fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.:2strokes:

I have had it running, if I can get it to turn over fast enough!

Did you check the compression?

Pull your plugs out and then try to pull it over. Almost sounds like your hydro-locking with fuel. Seen it many times where the inlet needles allow excess fuel into the cylinders. Too much messing around and you will have a bent rod or an out of phase crank.

Not hydro locked. took off the flywheel and the key is fine, but at TDC the trigger coil is past the raised pad on the flywheel. rotated back and the trigger coil is at the end of the pad about .020 before TDC. That seems a little too soon unless the CDI has a delay. This would cause the engine to try to run backwards. Will re check compression as soon as the flywheel is back on.

compression is 130 on right cyl and 135 on the left. Not sure how long it's been since this sled was last run.

Checked the clearance on the trigger coil it is .022" from the raised pad.

Last edited:
Got the motor started and it is definitely running backwards! This is why it is ripping the recoil out of my hands. will try a different CDI.

Last edited:
Problem solved replaced the stator and now it runs great! First time I ever had one do this. Thanks for the help.

Back