DC Voltage on SRX

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
I successfully got my 1997 SX working with 2 LED headlight by using the Brown wire for the reverse buzzer (DC power).

Now, is there the same wire on a SRX? or is there another wire on the SRX that has clean DC voltage that can be used ?
Mine is a 2001 model.

Think I found a low cost / simple solution for your 2001 SRX.

Option 1 - find available DC power to drive LED DC bulb (like you did with your other sled - that has reverse buzzer thin brown wire).

Option 2 - Use factory AC power to drive a special order AC LED H4 bulb.

For option 2, have a deep dive read on https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlamp-5-to-30-volt-p43t-h4-dual-filament-non-polarity.aspx

As seen in above URL, this 12 Volt LED bulb uses AC power as well. And, its low cost.

Haven't tried this special order H4 LED bulb myself. But, its write up looks good. And, simple plug/use design as well...

Hope this find helps...

Last edited:
Pretty sure srx 00-02 have dc 12v.at the headlight, if so the led bulbs should work without hassle, did you try them already?

To validate if factory AC or DC power at headlight without a special meter, simply:

Get LED bulb rated for DC and using little wire with little alligator clamp on its ends, connect sled's black Ground wire to bulb's Ground pin and sled's yellow wire to to bulb's high beam pin. Does bulb light up? If not, ensure engine is idle and its on high beam setting. Now... Reverse their contacts on the LED bulb pins. re: Yellow wire to bulb's ground pin and sled's ground wire to bulbs high beam pin. If LED bulb lights up, then its AC power. If LED DC bulb does NOT light up, then its DC power. If LED DC bulb lights up (and flickers), then AC power is the head light connector. Using DC bulbs on AC current for long time periods can create back flow / instability - which isn't good on its entire AC electrical system.

For H4 LED DC bulb's pins, see below for picture and its top left corner...

Attachments

• DZG LED bulb (more details).JPG
    DZG LED bulb (more details).JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OK, I do have a multimeter, can it also be checked with it ?
If so, what is the procedure ?

I just found my 19 year old (swedish) magazine where they tested sled lights. Srx (-00) was the only sled that used DC power. So your dc ledbulbs should lit right up.

Excellent!
Saves me a bit of hassle !
Thanks !

Hmmm.... Make me wonder if my other sled may be the same way.
The newer redheads had the 300 Watt system also, dual bulb, ect...
Wonder if they are in the same boat as the newer SRX's ??

Excellent!
Saves me a bit of hassle !
Thanks !

Hmmm.... Make me wonder if my other sled may be the same way.
The newer redheads had the 300 Watt system also, dual bulb, ect...
Wonder if they are in the same boat as the newer SRX's ??
Your welcome, keep us posted on your progress. I have no clue on the redhead system, but i bet they are the same.

OK,to revisit this.
The newer redheads (300 Watt) are also AC.
To get DC on a an older redhead, you use the brown wire from the not used reverse buzzer and
on the newer sleds, its a blue wire, red stripe.
What you want to look for is an unused 2 wire plug, that is down around the recoil side footwell.

Once you have that wire, run it up to the Blue wire that feeds power to the Hi/Low switch under the handlebar pad.

Back