2002 sxr 600 starts fine idles great no top end

George orwell

Howdy all and a big thanks ahead of time
well I just received a 2002 Sxr 600 the sled has not run for a couple years I went through cleaned all the carbs gas tank everything looks great put it back together idles great revs up can only go about 30 miles an hour would that be myair screw adjustment I did two turns out so if I turned it in a bit on all three carbs that should help I also get a light backfire so I assume it's running lean

Ok I'm headed out to pull carbs and move air jet to 1 1/2 turns out I checked tors switch that seems to be not the problem I will check coil rack also I will check reeds while I'm in there

I would leave the screws at 2. That is a stock setting. If the motor sounds like its running good, its probably your clutches that need attention.

x2 on the clutches. resurected a few old ones and learned the hard way to pull apart the primary and make sure that every thing slides freely. just did a 1997 sx 700 for my brother that was so gummed/rusted up that it barely turned the track.

Eric,
The above suggestions to ensure the clutches are free are right on the money. For now, just make sure shtuff is sliding and moving without any impedance. Just as other suggested. Well go from there.
I'm guessing the clutch was sprayed down w/ some kind of oil previously. Which is now all gummy and sh!t.

I want to thank everyone for there help I cleaned the clutches with brake cleaner put new premium gas in tank adjusted air screws to about 1 7/8 out it now screams to over 100mph love it do I need to do anything to clutches now that I have cleaned them

Back