drive belts squealing at idle need help??????????

I just replaced drive belt on a 2003 vmax 600er and at idle the drive is squealing loud. I used the 8dn-17641-01-00 belt from Yamaha. And guess what I replaced the belt on our 2005 RX warrior with the same belt and now it has started squealing. I took the covers off and its like both belts are too tight. What is the problem here????????

You need to adjust your belt height in the secondary. On the back of the secondary there are three small bolts, pull them out and remove the washers then put them back in. That will spread the secondary apart dropping the belt down lower.

I just read and watched the video on secondary belt deflection. This site is just flipping awesome!! Got a new go to on slow days at work. I actually have 3 sleds that are doing this. I wonder if the new Yamaha belts are slightly wider than the old junk belts I have been running with. Also I have seven primary clutches that I need to inspect and clean due to running for many years and not cleaning.

The 3 bolts on the back will also wear down and cause some of this issue, they are made for the ends to wear down. So you have a combination of an old belt that is narrower than a new one, plus the 3 bolt ends are worn down and allowing the sheaves to sit closer to each other. This is fine with the older narrower belt, but then a new belt is thrown in and it now sits too high in the secondary which causes it to pull tighter on the primary and squeal.

The 3 bolts on the back will also wear down and cause some of this issue...

Yup, I've had to replace them. They were notably shorter than the ones off my parts machine (and I have no idea how new ones would have compared).

Back