Homemade carbides

Weldor

Realized my viper needed a set of carbides like right now, I mean they were bad. I’ve had the idea of making some before and with extra time at work I figured I’d finally give it a try. I used regular carbon steel round bar and bent it to match the old set. I then took some hardened tool steel and welded it on the bottom and put some 1/4 bolts on the top. Has anyone ever tried making a set of carbides before? If so how did they come out? I’m expecting they won’t last to long and I’m not very worried since I had plenty of time to waste. I could be wrong depending on how the hardened steel holds up, but I do plan on checking them frequently just incase they do wear faster than I expect.

i have made them before when i could not identify the brand of skis insurance put on a 1975 gs338 that some one stole and my dad got back in the early 80's.

depends how hard the steel is. i used 5/8" grade 8 ubolt rod when i did those with 3/8" x 1" bolts and as far as i know, the ones i made are still on that sled.

They aren’t pretty but I’m thinking they should hold up for a few rides atleast. :dunno:

Did that on a regular basis on my JDXs.
I even vice-gripped a copper bar at an angle while the skegs were upside down. Then hardwelded(stick) the entire length. Remove copper bar and way-ole.A nice 45*(ish) edge that cuts nicely in the snow.

Last edited:
Years ago I made plenty of them by running the bar flat and then welding a 8" tringle file to the flat bar. Man did that makem turn, almost dangerous.

Years ago I made plenty of them by running the bar flat and then welding a 8" tringle file to the flat bar. Man did that makem turn, almost dangerous.
I thought about doing that but didn’t have any old files on hand.

B5E7C829-7F5C-4DA7-A8B9-C913AF391E1E.jpg Finally able to post a picture. They’re pretty aggressive haha might have to cut em down but it’s all pretty new to me.

Last edited:
That ought to get it around, it surprising how long they last when only riding in snow. It's the side of the road and bad trails that wear them out.
I bought the files at Home-Depot, I think about $12 but still much cheaper than new carbides. They last quite a long time

Back