Viper Heel Clicker Clutch Kit

Yamidude

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁

Now that the kids are playing with their toys, it’s time to get down to big kid toys!

I’m about to purchase a Heel Clicker (Primary) Clutch Kit for my 2004 Viper ER that is all stock except the MBRP can. First question is, are H.C. the best bang for my buck or is there a better setup? Second question, if I use the clutch kit do I need to change jetting, secondary setup, gearing, etc.? I’ve tried to search these questions, but this forum is chock full of H.C. related questions. Just figured I’d ask before making the initial plunge into tuning my clutches. Thanks in advance!

Yes you will need secondary mods as in a helix that works with the HC. For a race sled good weights but for a trail sled with miles on the clutch and expecting a lot more on it, the strong spring you have to run with them in the pri clutch will take its toll after awhile.imo

Yes you will need secondary mods as in a helix that works with the HC. For a race sled good weights but for a trail sled with miles on the clutch and expecting a lot more on it, the strong spring you have to run with them in the pri clutch will take its toll after awhile.imo

Do you have any suggestions of where to start? I read some stuff by Mr. Viper where he suggested a 48/36 helix to accompany the H.C. kit, but that was the extent of what I could find. Does the spring need to be changed as well or just the helix? I’d also like to mention that I’ve been hunting around the internet for helix’s that will work for this application and I can’t really find anything. It seems like a lot of the companies that made such parts are closed or don’t stock these older Yamaha parts anymore.

Ok, considering I have reverse, which one would you recommend for setting up my H.C. The ones on the dalton site are reversed the way the numbers go. I’m sorry for all these dumb questions, I’m still learning and decided to attempt this modification on my own. I want to make sure I order the right ones. I don’t have thousands of dollars available to spend on multiple setups, so I’ll have to be particular in what I order. Once I’ve got a feel for this, I’ll be ok. Oh yeah, WE NEED SNOW!! Lol. Thanks again for any help, I have no place to turn accept this site and a local mechanic that wants $1k to touch my sled in any capacity.

The reverse helixs are for turbosleds, as they need a smaller starterangle to help with the turbolag.

So reverse in this case means the helix have reversed angles, has nothing to do with your sled having reverse. You need a Standard multihelix, for exampel 48/36.

Last edited:
Yamalars, thank you for the clarification! I still have a lot to learn and that’s why I love this forum. Everyone has been great!

Thanks for that info maim and Vincent!

One last question, most of what I’ve seen people are recommending green secondary spring. I will tell you that I’ve searched the internet and cannot find one. Is there an alternative spring that would achieve the same goal? I guess I’m getting into this a little late. These old girls are becoming a thing of the past!

As posted above. Oem part.

Nothing special about the green spring. It was widely used in many proaction sleds models. My Venture being one of them

Last edited:
youll find the best mph with the stock red dot spring in a viper, use the 48/36 helix, wind the tension to 80-90 degrees

youll find the best mph with the stock red dot spring in a viper, use the 48/36 helix, wind the tension to 80-90 degrees

Mr. Viper, thanks for the reply! I was hoping you would chime in. I've followed your guidelines on installing the HC and now I'm just waiting for the remaining parts to arrive. I've ordered a 48/36 helix, 15mm rollers (I tried ordering 15.6mm but they were out of stock and back-ordered nationwide until the end of February), and I've set the weights per your specs. I should have it back together and ready to test out within a couple days. Now we just need snow, which is also on the way. I did order the green spring, but if you think the stock red will suffice, then I will return the green one. Additionally, I hunted down a sheave alignment gauge so that I can make sure everything is aligned properly. If you think of any additional details, I'm all ears. Thanks again!

Back