97 vmax wont start

mq32hunter

Hello group. After having my 97 vmax 600 parked for the summer I cant seem to get it started. It will fire with a small shot of starting fluid ( I know that's not good on 2strokes). It almost acts like it's not getting fuel. It ran fine and started very easily before if was parked. I also have a mm700 and summerized them both the same but that one started right up. Wondering if there is a way to check the fuel delivery without tearing to deep into it. Thanks for any help.

It is common for the carbs to get gummed up after storage, especially if no stabilizer was used and/or if ethanol fuel is in it. Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes not. I personally have had it happen 100% of the time if ethanol fuel is in the sled.
Your first step is to pull the carbs and clean them. Pay close attention to the pilot jets and passages.
For future reference, a spoonful of mixed fuel down each sparkplug hole will usually show if it's willing to run.

I would clean the carbs on both sleds if they were mine. Mr Viper has a good write up with pictures in the tech section on how to clean them. Well worth the hour that it takes to go through them

Back