700 vmax starter gear question

Wexcw

Hey guys..i picked up another 700 vmax..this one had a noise in it the previous owner couldn't find..once I got it here I found that the starter gear on the back side of the clutch is loose causing a low idle rattle. I would say by the wear marks on the gear itself and the torx bolts that it's been loose for some time. I had it in my head that I would simply remove the gear and re install the clutch. Problem is the threads I'd say are screwed on the torxs bolts holding it on. They won't come out or go in. Has anyone had this happen? Right now I'm thinking of simply cutting them off, removing the gear and making the remaining immovable bolts flush with the edge of the back clutch plate..is this a bad idea? Any help would be great

Thanks!

ran my dads sx venture with the gear removed to finish a season with no problems. had 1 broken bolt in it with no issues.

i think i finally have it cured for the loosening ring gear problem but need some miles on the sled to make sure.

I have managed to get 3 of them out using mild heat.. then ran out of time for today I'll get at it again tomorrow.. a couple of them the heads are in really bad shape so they may see the grinder yet

I was gonna say heat them up. Loctite would have been used I’m sure but loosened over time. Has happened to me a couple of times and that’s using green loctite.

well on the one i have, i have steel drive pins welded to the ring gear and green locktight on all the bolts for the ring gear. i do know split roll pins do not work as that version failed.

Back