Ovation Choke Cable Remove/Replace

BrophyCreek

I have an 89 ovation. How do I disconnect the choke cable from the carb? It has a single body/ double barrel carb. The choke cable goes into the carb in the center of the carb body. I loosened the jam nut and backed the brass nut out but the cable end is still retained somehow down inside the carb. I would expect to be able to unhook the cable end and remove it. I don't see any obvious way to get at it without disassembling the whole carb, but that seems a bit extreme for a choke cable.

Should be able to unscrew it entirely. I am currently searching for my spec's to set it correctly as I had it out and my son was playing with the lock nut so I have no idea where I need to be for adjustment/slack.

dnale,
Yes, that is what I thought. I bought this sled for my son two summers ago. I took the carb out and brought it in to my buddies shop and had it cleaned in the ultrasonic parts bath. If I recall correctly, I was able to just unscrew it and remove it. But now, when I unscrew it, the cable is still held somehow down in the carb. Please see picture below:

CHOKE CABLE.jpg

the pin on the bottom is seized into the carb. have a carb from a 78 et340 in my tool box that this is the problem and why it is not on the sled. i play with it from time to time to try and get it out. an old fix is to remove that pin so it cannot stick/seize any more.

the pin on the bottom is seized into the carb. have a carb from a 78 et340 in my tool box that this is the problem and why it is not on the sled. i play with it from time to time to try and get it out. an old fix is to remove that pin so it cannot stick/seize any more.

Maim,
Thank you for the info. I kinda thought that might be the case. Its weird that the pin and/or plunger seized, because the carb was just thoroughly gone through last year. Prior to that it sat with bad gas in it for two years in a barn. When I picked it up, it started within 6 pulls on bad gas and always started/ ran spot on since. Until first start up this season. Oh well, so be it.

Again, thank you for the insight.

Back