Heel clicker tuning

97 sx700 cpr pipes clutching

so i did what you said for my weights ended up using a sxr clutch because mine was to far gone it has a tall cover so i used the pring that came with it (ygy). but i cant get this thing to rev past 8100, ive tried the stock helix aswell as other weights like the 8cr's that came with the clutch. the primary gets super hot after a couple rips I dont know where to go from here. really hoping someone can help me out

Man, you can’t switch stuff out like that, each part has its place.
Tell me what year and model that primary came off of.

The weights are only one piece of the puzzle. I assumed you would have the correct rollers, springs, ect.
You do not. You won’t be able to get the results you want unless you use everything that it requires.
One part will change everything.

I understand it was a time crunch decision because I was unable to get all the parts to rebuild my clutch. The primary is off of a 2001 sxr 700 that I got the pipes from

What parts are bad in your 1997 Primary ?

Your 97 has 15mm rollers, the 2001 has 16mm rollers. Big difference.
If 15mm rollers are good, use them, along with the stock 1997 spring, w/s/w
You MUST use the short cover from the old primary with the w/s/w though
Use green secondary spring at 70 twist, 45 helix.

Also, did you get the primary clutch when you bought the pipes ?
Is the SXR clutch already setup for the pipes ?

Last edited:
Wow yeah that's a huge difference I didnt think the rollers would be different, the problem I have is that my clutch cover bushing aswell as one roller bushing are gone. Is it possible to use reuse the good bushings from the other clutch or?

Only reason I'd have to use my clutch over is because it's the short cover so my spring is to short for the tall cover

Are all of the sxr rollers that big? I have a 600 sxr sitting next to my sled that may have good rollers

Yea it was however that engine was ported, I initially tried the clutch as it was with the same results before moving on to the 8cr weights

Something else has to be going on here.

Here is what I can tell you for sure.

We run 2 700's, both run around 9100 rpm. One has SLP pipes, one has CPR pipes.
Both run the following:
8CR weights, 13.3 steel rivet inside hole, outside empty.
14.5 rollers in one, 15mm rollers in the other (if I recall)...
W/S/W spring (short cover)
Green Sec. spring at 70 - 45 Helix

Something else has to be going on here.

Here is what I can tell you for sure.

We run 2 700's, both run around 9100 rpm. One has SLP pipes, one has CPR pipes.
Both run the following:
8CR weights, 13.3 steel rivet inside hole, outside empty.
14.5 rollers in one, 15mm rollers in the other (if I recall)...
W/S/W spring (short cover)
Green Sec. spring at 70 - 45 Helix
e
So i just confirmed the rollers in the sxr clutch were 16mm, my stock ones are 15mm one has a bad bushing, and the sxr 600 rollers are 14.5 all with good bushings. so will i be okay to run the ygy tall spring and cover with either the 8cr or 8ca weights and 14.5mm rollers

Also i was mistaken the rpm with 8cr weights was 8100 and with the 8ca weights that came on the 01 sxr700 clutch the rpms were 7800ish

specs on springs are:
preload rate total force free length wire diam
ygy- 40 2.5 123 89.4 5.8

wsw- 35 2.25 110 81 5.5

Did you have the 13.3 rivet on the INSIDE hole and the outter hole empty on the 8CR weights?
Yes, those 14.5 rollers will work. They will provide more force, but will also lower RPM...

so i put on the 14.5mm rollers 8cr weights in with the tip empty, and used the tall spring and cover. i did a couple pulls (limited area and snow around here currently so the runs are maybe 75 meters) one pull i got just about 9k but the couple others it was a little less, shout i put it on a stand and load the brake a little for better testing? secondary was a little warm and the primary was cooler than it was but still hot, can keep my fingers on the outer sheave for several seconds before its to much. inside sheave is blazin hhaha

Your primary spring is still too stiff. It’s around 128kg while the suggested w/s/w is about 111 kg.
Without all the right parts, all you can do is hope to get close.
You could try the lightest aluminum rivet in the tip.

Also, running on a stand will tell you nothing.

Back