Top 10 must have with you or must do before you ride?

Johnny20

I haven’t rode in years, in fact, my last sled was a Ski-Doo Nordic 340 Rotax with bogey wheels. I am going to get back to riding again and the sleds and technology and gear has changed so much since I had my thumb on a throttle, I am looking for advice what you all consider must have’s or must do’s before you ride? Safety, mechanical, kits to carry, navigation, clothing, anything really. Speed isn’t my thing but enjoying the ride and country is. Might help other riders out, hopefully! Appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Johnny20

For me, I only bring the basic tools like flashlight, whistle, spare belt, vise grips, tow rope, spare plugs, spare hat / gloves and my cell phone. Basic tools to help get me unstuck or to fix most common problems. Or, keep me warm - if my primary hat / gloves get wet. If I load down too much, I'll need to tow along an attached sleigh. LOL! Start with the basics and add more later on - if more tools are needed.

I would agree about joining a club. For me last year, I joined 2 local sledding clubs and am a guest for next club over as well. Thus, I can go sledding every Saturday or Sunday each weekend (when the trails are open). While stopping on ride breaks with others, I also meet new people and collect their name / cell numbers. Meeting new people and networking (and learning about their previous lives) is amazing. And, I learn what works or doesn't work for them. For example, the one older age guy I met stores his sled an an enclosed trailer during summer months but uses his open flat bed 6x10 landscaping trailer to trailer his sled around during winter months - cause its lighter weight and easier to see / backing up. And, they also share what bush trails should be avoided due to difficult riding levels and/or out of cell phone reach. Will probably join 2+ clubs this year (to collect more sled buddy names) then book new buddy rides with others. Especially with the folks who do same "put put" speed as me. LOL! Best safety advise is, try NOT to sled alone. There's times we must sled alone (re: to get to trail head opening to meet one's sled buddy) but in the deep bush trails, always go sledding with a buddy (who drives his own sled)....

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Among other things, I religiously carry a Bic lighter in the sled (waterproofed) and another in my coat. A fire can be the difference between life and death. (Or at the very least, the difference between frozen hotdog or cooked.)

Anyway, welcome back to the sport!

well my minimum must haves on the sled are, stock tool kit, spare plugs (on 2 stroke), spare belt, tow strap/rope, an axe/saw of some type and a lighter/flint and steel. i always make sure i have some napkins/tp/kleenex in my pocket for cleaning glasses/emergency.

Must do's for me:
Clean clutches at beginning of season, go through carbs to ensure all jets and passages are clear so sled runs and idles like it should and no surprise burn downs. Belt deflection set correctly, track tension correct, chain case oil level good and tension set to spec. Power valves cleaned and adjusted if the sled has them.
Always have extra plugs and an extra belt...ruins the ride for everyone if you don't and end up needing them. Always have at least the stock tool kit in the sled.
I wear a backpack with a break down snow shovel, snow bungee, one extra spark plug cap, lighter, some fire starter gel. Avalanche beacon if a mountain rider. Whatever drinks and snacks in it too.
Before the group leaves the parking lot:
Always make sure everyone knows exactly how many are in the group, 4, 6, 8, or whatever it may be. We never leave a play area without doing a count and making sure everyone is there. Everyone is also told that IF they actually lose the group, DON'T go looking! Sit at the intersection and wait until someone comes back for them. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people lose the group and then a bunch of time is spent looking for them only to find out we've been riding circles around each other the whole time.
When hitting an intersection, trail through the trees or whatever, the leader waits until the 2nd person sees which way they went, then the 2nd waits for the 3rd, etc. etc.

I have a gerber soft kit that contains a saw, knife, hatchet, flint, and room for a multitool. Be surprised at how often it gets used on down branches. It's soft bagged so fits anywhere.

A small first aid kit, again soft case.

A few of us put red and white flashing leds backwards on our handlebars for other riders to see us if we pull over and shut down. We can spin them around to face forwards as well.

Oh btw I'm sitting on a low mileage 1971 399 Nordic if you want to revisit the days of riding 15 minutes wrenching 20 riding 15.... you get the idea......original owner.......

Haha, those were the days, except my best performance was run half hour, let it cool off, run 20 minutes, cool off, run 15 minutes, and so on. As long as I was near home after the 15 min run I was usually good.

I have a gerber soft kit that contains a saw, knife, hatchet, flint, and room for a multitool. Be surprised at how often it gets used on down branches. It's soft bagged so fits anywhere.

A small first aid kit, again soft case.

A few of us put red and white flashing leds backwards on our handlebars for other riders to see us if we pull over and shut down. We can spin them around to face forwards as well.

Oh btw I'm sitting on a low mileage 1971 399 Nordic if you want to revisit the days of riding 15 minutes wrenching 20 riding 15.... you get the idea......original owner.......

Oh yes, I also carry a good quality folding saw...use it so much I don't know how I forgot to list it. Really nice if a small windfall is across the trail. Great item to have on hand.

Back