Do the SX Viper Engines sound metalic?

naleuer

VIP Member
Hello, this is my first post, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong or this isn't the right spot. I bought a 2002 Yamaha SX Viper 700 this last spring. It has around 5k miles on it. Before this I rode a vmax 500. My dad picked up a sxr 700 and so I figured I should get a 700 too seeing all the people talking about how reliable it is. Anyway, to my point. The engine sounds much more growly than the 500 and more so than the 700 in my dad's sxr. I'm hoping this is normal it's just different so it worries me. Sounds metalic. Sort of like a diesel or like injectors firing on a fuel injected engine. Is this normal? Am I just being paranoid.
I tried adding octane booster to make sure it's not pinging. It didn't change anything.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qPQ5YRBTRTDXQkU46

Here is a link to a video I took of the engine. I'm obviously very close to the engine to only get the engine noise and not the exhaust.

Thanks I'm advance!

That sound needs looking into,try to figure out what cylinder it is and go from there.

How would I go about figuring out what cylinder it is? I'm not scared or doing work myself. I'm just more used to cars.

Long metal object against your ear will act as a stethoscope. Helping isolate were specific frequencies are coming from. As an industrial mechanic I trouble shoot all kinds of pumps, power ends, electric motors , gear boxes, and bearings etc... using this simple method.

Last edited:
Really doesn't sound good. I would take the top end apart. it's not that much work and you would have a chance to get a good look at everything. You might as well get to know your motor.

I am going to go with center cylinder and it being a connecting rod issue. I’d stop running and pull the cylinders.

Mine Kinda sounded like that I had a center cylinder was cracked and a bad piston. I hope you don't find the same issue, mine ran amazing untill I pulled the head to put on an opticool gasket and found problems.

I just found the front motor mount is broke. That could be it. I pulled each plug and no noise change. I put a screwdriver to each jug and didn't notice any difference. I'll try the thermometer thing too.

You can’t diagnose through this video. Does it smooth out under idle? Just from pic it sounds and looks like every viper Ive owned. And Ive owned/own a lot of them The clutches rattle big time and the engines shake like a unbalanced washing machine, But idle them up and smooth as silk. Take the advise here and check it out but from video and not being there in person looks about right.

Back