2004 Viper S model opinions

Hammer Down

There is a nice clean 04 viper S with an M10 and Ohlins for sale that I have been eyeballing. I’d like opinions on this sled. Do they have overheating issues. Any other issues? What’s special about the S model.

S model was the last short track/two stroke viper(like the Exciter SX the last was the best).

wasn’t “s” the same as the er other than it didn’t have reverse and electric start? so it would be the same otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasn’t “s” the same as the er other than it didn’t have reverse and electric start? so it would be the same otherwise

fcb48e093c7becfacdb9468b2a20510a.png

i was wrong, the s has better shocks and a different track

The 04 has the rear heat exchange so no worries about overheating. I love mine, though it now has slp pipes and mrviper porting.

The 04 has the rear heat exchange so no worries about overheating. I love mine, though it now has slp pipes and mrviper porting.

it’s odd that they didn’t all have the heat exchanger, my 2000 sxr has it, you’d think they would have continued with it on all the 700’s from that point on

The only issues that seems to be fairly common on a Viper are the pull rope wearing where it goes through the little loop by the recoil housing and the stator failing. The stator fails seem to be more common in the 02's and 03's.
The only overheating issues I've ever heard about were the early short tracks without the rear heat exchanger once someone triple piped the sled.

I've had my '03 Mnt. Viper since it was new and the only part that's ever failed is the stator. Oh, and one of the TORS switches.

Last edited:
Yamaha had a fix for the rope issue. I had a couple of those brackets somewhere. If not, I have the part # somewhere

Sx viper s came with up dated hand controls, Ohlins shocks on the front, foot grips on the floor board/ supports, rear heat exchanger, detonation control to pull timing, softer seat. The viper s seat also has ribs across it and is red and black. Much better than earlier vipers. It was a bit lighter do to not having reverse. The rear shocks however were junk. It also came with the red skid plate under the front. It also has a 1 1/4” lug track instead of the 1” lug.
Very good sled if maintained. I still have and ride mine. Close to 9000 miles.
If it was well maintained, it should be a good sled. You can tell it apart from others if you look for the above mentioned items.

I find their are a lot of people that tried to make a standard viper look like the viper s.

Last edited:
Sx viper s came with up dated hand controls, Ohlins shocks on the front, foot grips on the floor board/ supports, rear heat exchanger, detonation control to pull timing, softer seat. The viper s seat also has ribs across it and is red and black. Much better than earlier vipers. It was a bit lighter do to not having reverse. The rear shocks however were junk. It also came with the red skid plate under the front.
Very good sled if maintained. I still have and ride mine. Close to 9000 miles.
If it was well maintained, it should be a good sled. You can tell it apart from others if you look for the above mentioned items.

I find their are a lot of people that tried to make a standard viper look like the viper s.

Do you have any problems with the DTS?

if you buy a viper...raise the needles on it! the DCS on 2004 is good, they (all vipers) need premium fuel, they have a lot of compression and a lot of ignition timing stock. octane,octane,octane keeps squeeky away!

you mean dcs? have it on dads 05 venture and it can be a bit sensetive but it does save the motor.

those ventures must be rare, i looked for about a year for one locally before i gave up[emoji107]

I have never had a problem with it. It helps when the fuel is bad ,but it is not a cure. It let’s you know if their is a problem. If the light comes on back off the throttle and fluctuate it. Add octane booster or better fuel ASAP. Do not depend on it to save your engine! Use it as a warning light. It will burn up if you try to depend on it. No wide open throttle until all old fuel is out.
An opticool head gasket is a very good idea to help control detonation. More even coolant flow and it is a bit thicker to reduce compression.

well in our case we where having a problem with the 05 when wot because of the track. it came with a closed every 3rd window track and would trip the light on wot runs across the lake. put on a fully clipped ripsaw and now it is very rare to see the light come on at all.

Timely that you mention the recoil rope breaking. I just had to replace mine on my "03" this year when it broke. By some miracle I was at my house unloading it from my trailer.

They make...or use to anyway...a replacement loop where the pull rope goes through and wears, that has Teflon in it or something similar.

Back